looking for a ride to PCT trailhead at CA/OR border

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
suzy

looking for a ride to PCT trailhead at CA/OR border

Post by suzy » July 20th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I am new to this website. Making first attempt at section hiking the PCT with a friend, and we want to start from the border, so looking for a ride from medford to donomore pass on August 2nd in the morning; we would park our car in medford to get to somehow after we finish our hike 4 days later. Is there a more appropriate place where people might post such a question? thanks for any advice. Suzy

Chazz

Re: looking for a ride to PCT trailhead at CA/OR border

Post by Chazz » July 21st, 2017, 8:56 am

It's a good question and I'm interested in what you find out. I will need a pick-up or drop-off at the trailhead close to the OR/CA border next year when I finish my OR PCT Section.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/PCNST ... 22.9122925

I'm looking for a reasonably priced service that can take me and another hiker from Ashland to that trailhead or the reverse.

drm

Post by drm » July 22nd, 2017, 6:15 am

Trail angels give rides a lot. I've seen phone numbers on notes on the trail, or even just written into the ground with a stick, to call for a pickup. In typical break points, they give rides to the nearest services, but they must be listed on one of the zillions of PCT websites too.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » July 23rd, 2017, 4:01 pm

If I was a thru-hiker, I might. But this is a section hike and I need to make accommodations for my own needs in this case. There's no good reason why I should depend on or expect the kindness of strangers to haul my hiker butt to that trail head or away from it. I'd prefer to same up karma for when I'm truly in need.