Suggestions for a 4 day back pack?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
loven329

Suggestions for a 4 day back pack?

Post by loven329 » July 20th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Hello fellow hikers! My family and a friend had planned a backpack trip to do the sisters loop for tomorrow. Unfortunately we were a bit surprised to find out recently that the trail is basically closed at this point in July. We are looking for alternative backpacks. My vote was for the Mt Hood loop, my friend says it looked pretty clear when he was there last week. I was thinking about Goat Rocks but I have no clue how clear of snow the trail is up there. Wallowas would be awesome, but I'm not sure how conditions would be and its also a bit far from Portland... Basically we are trying to salvage the trip and find a good backpack from this friday evening to next tuesday that is currently not covered in heavy snow. Does anyone have recommendations and has anyone been on a backpack recently?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers

:D

xrp

Re: Suggestions for a 4 day back pack?

Post by xrp » July 20th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Does it have to be a loop?

Timberline Trail around Mt Hood would be an option. You will probably still hit a good amount of snow on the north and east side, though.

You could do the PCT from Timberline or Timothy Lake to Cascade Locks or reverse that.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2017, 9:32 pm

There are a couple recent trip reports for Mt Hood loop. Your feet will get wet at river crossings. Shouldn't be dangerous though.

In my experience, Three Sisters is passable before Mt Hood, why do you say it's closed?

drm

Post by drm » July 21st, 2017, 6:27 am

The Loowit Trail around Mt Saint Helens appears to be substantially free of snow. It does have some rougher sections given the unstable soil left over from the eruption.