Bear Canisters

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Word Nerd

Bear Canisters

Post by Word Nerd » July 16th, 2017, 1:04 pm

The last thread discussing the use of bear canisters on Mt. Hood I can find is from 2009, and I'm wondering if the conditions/recommendations have changed any. I know there are bears in the area because my parents have had bears on their property in Rhododendron, but I haven't found any official recommendation to use a bear canister. My husband and I are planning to hike the Timberline Trail in August and would prefer to save the 2.2 lbs. by using odor proof bags for our food instead of the canister, but I'd love to hear what other people are using in that area.

retired jerry

Re: Bear Canisters

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2017, 1:36 pm

They're not required on Mt Hood.

I don't use them, I just hang from tree. Sometimes I do a "bear hang" 10 feet up, 10 feet out. If that isn't convenient I hang lower. If I just leave on the ground there's maybe a 50% chance of a rodent eating some of it.

I see bears occasionally. When they see humans they run away. I've seen bear tracks somewhat close to where I was sleeping but it stayed away from me.

Olympic National Park requires them in some places. The Sierras also.

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 17th, 2017, 7:20 am

You should look into an URSACK if you haven't. They work great because you don't have to do a bear hang with them. Just tie them around a solid tree. I don't use the metal insert just an OPSAK inside.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 17th, 2017, 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies. We have looked at URSACK, and like that idea a lot. We ended up buying a hard bear canister since URSACKs are not allowed/enough in Yosemite or Yellowstone, and we were in both places last summer. It is on the gear wishlist, though!

alpinista55

Post by alpinista55 » July 17th, 2017, 9:44 am

I've been backpacking a lot in Sequoia and Kings Canyon the past 4 years where bear cans are required. I hate the 2.6 pounds of extra weight of my Bear Vault 500, but I have to say, I love the security of knowing that my food is safe, not just from bears, but from all the other critters as well. And not having to mess around setting up a bear hang is a nice benefit as well.

That said, I'm with WiredHiker... Ursack is a lighter weight option where cans aren't required.

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » July 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Agree with alpinista55 - we like the ease of use and organization of the bear canisters - keeps the little critters out as well (and make a good table :D ). The weight, however.........

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 29th, 2017, 6:23 am

Well we went ahead and ordered an Ursack Major, so now we have both and can pick and choose based on our pack weights and needs. I think we are planning on the Ursack for the Timberline next weekend!

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » July 29th, 2017, 7:04 am

I've got a JMT hike coming up in the second half of August and I bought a BV500 too. I'm not looking forward to it, but them's the rules.

Haven't ever had any problems with bears in Oregon, so I've generally just hung my food in a normal bag away from camp. Fingers crossed I continue to avoid them visiting while I'm asleep.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2017, 7:23 am

I hang my food near me so I can chase away any varmints :)

lia0x5

Post by lia0x5 » April 28th, 2018, 3:27 am

UrSack prevents mice, chipmunk & squirrels from getting your food. I've been hanging in a tree my entire life with no problems but there are places now that you simply must carry one of these containers. Bear canisters are heavy, but they're ridiculously convenient when you come into a camp late at night and don't feel like rigging up anything. I have a bear vault To pack it, I fold my Thermarest in half length-wise and roll it up around the canister and then slip that into the bottom of my bag. After the first or second day, when the canister has a bit of empty space from what I've eaten up, I start putting heavy food-related things in there, to keep all the weight as low and close to my back as possible.
Hi