Limited entry proposal in wilderness areas

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
justpeachy

Limited entry proposal in wilderness areas

Post by justpeachy » June 29th, 2017, 6:30 am

Sweeping plan would limit entry to Mount Jefferson, Three Sisters, other Oregon wilderness areas

Excerpt:
Backpackers spending the night would need a permit regardless of where they entered or chose to camp. Day-hikers would need a permit if they entered from one of the 40 trailheads near highways 22, 242 and 46 (see full list of trailheads below).

Permits would cost between $6 and $12, and only a limited amount would be available. The number of permits granted is still to be decided. Rules could be implemented by summer of 2019.

Deschutes and Willamette national forests are taking public comment until July 3 on the proposals. Email comments to [email protected]. They'll use feedback to shape a final decision, Peer said.

CampinCarl

Re: Limited entry proposal in wilderness areas

Post by CampinCarl » June 29th, 2017, 7:11 am

I saw this yesterday, you beat me to posting it. I actually wouldn't mind a permit system, but now they're asking for $6-$12 a pop plus the NW Forest Pass at most of these trailheads? :x I'll be submitting my comments later to the Forest Service.

BigBear

Limited Entry - List of Proposed trails

Post by BigBear » June 29th, 2017, 9:22 am

Trailheads that would require permit for day hikers in 2019:

Three Sisters off Highway 242: Linton Lake, Obsidian, Lava Camp Lake, and Black Crater.

Three Sisters Eastside Trailheads off Highway 46: Millican Crater, Scott Pass, Pole Creek, Chush Falls, Park Meadow, Three Creek Meadow, Tam McArthur Rim, Tam McArthur Rim Horse Trail, Broken Top, Crater Ditch, Todd lake, Green Lakes, Soda Creek, Devil’s Lake/South Sister, Wickiup Plains, Sisters Mirror, Quinn Meadow, Elk Lake, Six Lakes, and Many Lakes, Irish-Taylor, Winopee, Corral Swamp, Lucky Lake, Deer Lake.

Mount Jefferson Westside Trailheads off Highway 22: Crown Lake & Roaring Creek, Triangulation and Triangulation Peak, Cheat Creek, Whitewater, Woodpecker, Pamelia Lake, Minto Mountain, Bingham Ridge, Marion Lake, Pine Ridge & Turpentine, Duffy lake, Maxwell Butte, Pacific Crest-Santiam Pass.

Full article:
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/n ... 434357001/

Guy

Post by Guy » June 29th, 2017, 10:18 am

Permits for day hiking in particular is so depressing :cry:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 29th, 2017, 10:56 am

I HATE this proposal. These are public lands, they belong to us. We should be able to use them at our discretion. I can understand putting limits on number of overnight campers in a few very select areas, but am completely opposed to limits on day hikers. Also appalled by the proposal of fees for day use permits in addition to the parking pass. Boo hiss!

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 29th, 2017, 11:01 am

How about trying to educate newer users of Wilderness Areas about trail/camp etiquette instead of kicking most of the users out? How does this guarantee clueless people won't still be clueless about human waste and garbage?

Water

Post by Water » June 29th, 2017, 11:11 am

excellent points olderthaniusedtobe!

i cannot even begin to express my rage over this.

at the worst the permits should be free, first come, first get, available 24/7 at a ranger station in the proximity of the TH or a store or something.

it's just atrocious that you'd maybe need to plan your weather window for climbing north sister in 9hrs in june, back in february (or whenever) when the permits go on sale.. just for the luxury of leaving the TH at 3am and being back to the car at noon.

the FS is like, we tried nothing and we're all out of options! let's put a permit on it. Their argument is weak, it's crowds that are the issue? But the crowds really are only in select areas at select times.
Feel Free to Feel Free

ThePortlandeer

Post by ThePortlandeer » June 29th, 2017, 12:09 pm

If only creating more Wilderness areas were a realistic solution...can't picture this Congress stepping up to bat for that though...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 29th, 2017, 12:36 pm

I, for one, am happy to finally see the FS fall into line with the current administration in their move to base people's ability to access "public" land a function of their ability to pay for the privilege to do so. Because, let's be honest: no one would care about the crowds if they weren't a bunch of dirty poor people, amiright? Hopefully stage 2 of this plan is the construction of a Lear Jet landing strip at Green Lakes! </sarcasm, duh>

Ditto Matt that at least if they're going to quota, make it free/first come first served. And ditto OlderThan... that these quotas/fees will likely do nothing to reduce the number of fire rings in the middle of mossy fields or dry tarn beds.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Post by Guy » June 29th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Water wrote:excellent points olderthaniusedtobe!

i cannot even begin to express my rage over this.

at the worst the permits should be free, first come, first get, available 24/7 at a ranger station in the proximity of the TH or a store or something.

it's just atrocious that you'd maybe need to plan your weather window for climbing north sister in 9hrs in june, back in february (or whenever) when the permits go on sale.. just for the luxury of leaving the TH at 3am and being back to the car at noon.

the FS is like, we tried nothing and we're all out of options! let's put a permit on it. Their argument is weak, it's crowds that are the issue? But the crowds really are only in select areas at select times.

Agree completely!
Do these public comment periods actually ever work? Or is it already a done deal I wonder.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors