Rain gear w a perfect forecast

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Fishinak

Rain gear w a perfect forecast

Post by Fishinak » June 26th, 2017, 7:22 am

Hello all
Quick question.
My son and I will be doing a 5 day backpack in the trinity alps, next week. Looking at the Trinity Center forecast there is no sign of precipitation. We live in Sourheast Alaska where we NEVER leave the house wo rain gear, even if it's a perfect forecast.
Do you all pack rain gear for places like Trinity Alps? Even w a perfectly sunny 10 day forecast?

retired jerry

Re: Rain gear w a perfect forecast

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2017, 8:05 am

My rain gear, Goretex, is good for warmth even if it doesn't rain, so I would usually take it. Occasionally I'll take a lighter weight jacket, like with the Trinity forecast

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 26th, 2017, 8:16 am

Weather forecasting can be imperfect at times, especially mountain forecasts, so even a rain-free forecast is not ironclad. But still, your changes are fairly good of no rain, so in that situation I would pack my rain jacket but not my rain pants. The jacket can come in handy for warmth and for windy conditions and will probably be used even if it doesn't rain so therefore isn't adding unnecessary weight to my pack. Just my two cents. :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 26th, 2017, 8:40 am

Mountains make their own weather. Forecasts are rarely specific enough to focus on that fact. A five-day forecast becomes less reliable as each day passes. I never omit my rain gear for a five-day backpack. My rain jacket is 7 oz. and rain pants are only 4 oz. and they can be used for warmth and wind protection even in the absence of rain.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 8:46 am

Always pack foul weather gear. If the forecasters are wrong (like that doesn't happen most every day), they shrug it off and move on to the next bit of mis-information. You get stuck suffering the consequences.

Have you ever noticed how much the Saturday morning forecast varies from the Friday forecast for the same day?

drm

Post by drm » June 26th, 2017, 9:14 am

I only leave rain gear behind for shorter trips when 100% sun is forecast the day ahead. For a 5 day trip I would always take at least an upper shell. Might leave the rain pants behind if forecast is perfect.

TodF

Post by TodF » July 3rd, 2017, 6:18 am

What they all said. Another reason for me to take lightweight rain gear, besides warmth (and rain protection), is bug protection. Usually when it gets cool enough to want another layer the bugs are making themselves a nuisance, and rain gear is pretty good protection. I avoid spraying myself as much as possible.

However, it is also true that I have never had much of a problem with bugs in the Trinities, and if you are from Alaska you may consider our mosquito "problems" unnoticeable!