Webfoot

Re: Overheard on the trail

Post by Webfoot » June 27th, 2017, 2:12 pm

You're surprised that people get lost on 420? :P

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 27th, 2017, 6:36 pm

On the subject of people getting lost and asking for directions:

1. A couple ascending Ruckel Creek trail, around the hanging meadows, asked where the catwalk is. I pondered that, and asked "are you thinking this is Ruckel Ridge?" Yep, they sure were. Ruckel Ridge isn't particularly difficult, but I'm thinking people who can't find the bottom of the trail probably shouldn't try that hike.

2. A really charming young couple who were a joy to chat with on the way to Tanner Butte thought they were on the way to Munra Point. Although they were starting to realize they may have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

But other than that, I can't think of any good stories about crazy stuff I've heard people say on the trails.

Oh, wait...This sort of counts:
Tolmie Peak, Mount Rainier NP. Down below was Eunice Lake. Some lady was having a lakeshore parental breakdown, screeching at her kids. I'm sure she had no idea that the rocky lake basin was amplifying and projecting every horrible thing she said to her kids. She may as well have been shouting into a megaphone.

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » June 28th, 2017, 11:14 am

Several years ago, we were hiking King Peak in northern CA. We hiked in from Lightning Trailhead, just as a quick day hike, and on our way up to the summit ran into several people heading down with big packs. We learned they were from San Francisco and had been backpacking the northern section of the Lost Coast. They'd hiked up Rattlesnake Ridge from the ocean side and Lightning TH on the opposite (inland) side was their end point.

We asked if someone was going to pick them up, because the TH was deserted other than 1 truck and we'd passed the couple that belonged to. The TH is down some less than great roads pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They said, "No, we're just going to take the shuttle." After further conversation, we found out they hadn't actually arranged for a ride, they just thought some kind of shuttle regularly appeared at the TH. (Note: This is a pretty remote place, and not a Multnomah Falls type of situation.)

"We're just gonna take the shuttle" is now a regular joke with us.

(We did tell them we'd give them a ride to Shelter Cove if they were still there when we came down and didn't mind riding in the back of a truck; they very happily accepted that.)

Christminster

Post by Christminster » June 28th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Once I was heading up Wyeth to North Lake when I came up behind a couple in their sixties or so. Nothing unusal about that, EXCEPT it was already 5:00 PM. They didn't have packs, but were carrying fishing rods. At the pace they were moving the lake was three more hours away, they would spend some time fishing, and then wouldn't it be kind of late in the day to be four thousand feet up a trail?

All that went through my head as followed them, getting gradually closer. I started thudding and scuffing my feet a little louder to alert them - but it was a long time before they noticed.

They noticed all at once, by turning, jumping up and screaming. It was my best ever non-bicycle surprise approach. (I swear I don't do it on purpose; no, not even subconsciously, nope, no).

After I've finished apologizing for scaring them, they ask me how far it is to the lake. I tell them they're halfway up and they both, in unison, shout-- "HAALF?!" And it was really unison: they had identical sonority, accent, and scale: "Haaaa-aff?", with "haaa" kind of brayed and elongated, and "aff" a step and a half up the scale.

I showed them my map and stuff, and the woman started grumbling at the guy for bringing her up a trail to nowhere...

The guy: "But if I'd toldja how far it was, you wouldn't have come!"

Runnerinblack

Post by Runnerinblack » June 29th, 2017, 12:38 pm

I was on a hike in the rain. As I was heading down the mountain to the parking lot, I run in to a family of six dressed from head to toe in the most expensive water proof gear money could buy. Pants, jackets and hats....all waterproof. They were carrying umbrellas. All of them. Open.

alpinista55

Post by alpinista55 » June 29th, 2017, 1:37 pm

My partner and I were hanging on rappel on Beacon Rock, cleaning a new route with wire brushes, screwdrivers and whisk brooms, just off the summit trail. An older couple happened by on the trail and sat down on a log to watch. After a while, the gentleman asked, "What in the world are you doing?". I told them that we were the Forest Service cleaning crew, and we were working our way around Beacon Rock doing its annual spring cleaning. The gentleman said, "My word! I had no idea how much work went into keeping the rock so nice. Good job!". They walked on toward the summit.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 29th, 2017, 2:38 pm

alpinista55 wrote:"My word! I had no idea how much work went into keeping the rock so nice. Good job!". They walked on toward the summit.
:lol: I have been known to be gullible; I'd probably have said something similar. :oops:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2017, 2:41 pm

What? You were just kidding me about annually cleaning Beacon Rock?? I feel so stupid now for believing you??? :twisted:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 4th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Jogging down the Wahkeena Trail from Lemmon's VP with an ice axe in hand, I approached a switchback. A couple was on the trail just below me. As I neared, I heard the man say something like "He's a geologist. You can tell because he has a pickaxe."

I was feeling a bit awkward about my attire and equipment. Never occurred to me that somebody would think I was chipping at rocks.

walrus

Post by walrus » July 5th, 2017, 6:07 pm

At the Elk Meadows trailhead yesterday afternoon, a woman asked us for directions to Mt. Hood.