Overheard on the trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Overheard on the trail

Post by squidvicious » June 23rd, 2017, 11:01 pm

Overheard, seen, said to you... any of those memorable encounters.

Some of the funny responses from threads like Reactions to trekking poles had me thinking about the crazy things I've seen and heard from people out on the trail. Sometimes they're funny, some are pure headscratchers, sometimes infuriating, one or two are an image burned disturbingly in my mind that I wish I could purge. One way or another it seems like more often than not anymore I return with a story.

What are yours?

One I was reminded of recently was overheard at the Eagle Creek TH. A group was preparing to set out, mostly reasonably equipped but for one young man in flip-flops. He was earnestly explaining to a young woman that in fact he'd made the wiser choice, as if she stumbled her boots would stick to the trail and she'd turn an ankle, where his foot would just slip right out. Never heard footwear that holds you to the trail described as a negative before.

"Sadly, John slipped on the trail. His body's at the bottom of the cliff, but thank god we were able to save his flip flops."

justpeachy

Re: Overheard on the trail

Post by justpeachy » June 24th, 2017, 10:59 am

A recent incident that comes to mind is from our Memorial Day Weekend visit to Painted Hills when it was very hot. At Painted Cove a couple got out of their Jeep, left it running (presumably to keep the AC running), locked it, and headed out on the trail. I was dumfounded.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 8:36 am

I've heard a lot of interesting discussions over the years, but the first one that came to mind for this string happened on Mt. Rainier circa 2003. The trail is Burroughs Mountain which starts at Sunrise (elev. 6800) and soon climbs out of any vegetation higher than pasque flower - a barren ridge of rock with great views of Rainier, but no amenities (other than a stone sofa), not even a creek:

Two teenagers discussing the beverage options that lay ahead, "I hope the vending machine up ahead has Coke, I hate Pepsi."

We all laughed at the disappointment they were soon to find.

Limey

Post by Limey » June 26th, 2017, 10:36 am

I think the most alarming thing I've seen was on a winter hike into tamanawas. The trail was pure ice from one end to the other. At a point high above the creek a snowdrift covering the trail was at such an angle that if we weren't wearing microspikes we would have turned back. Lo and behold, here comes a guy from the direction of the falls with 3 little kids, all under 5yrs wearing street clothes, girls in dresses, boy in trousers, all had street shoes. To top it all off they had an off leash dog bounding around and sliding on the ice. There was really no safe way for us to pass each other so hubby and I planted ourselves, digging in our spikes, right on the edge so we could hopefully stop them going over the edge if they slipped and fell. The guy never said thanks and in fact he never even said hi. I was furious, who does that? If you want to risk your own neck, fine, but don't put your kids in such a perilous situation.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 27th, 2017, 7:13 am

So many stories... Too many stories... For the tourist herds, it's generally wonder, surprise, and confusion at people pushing through with a full 60L pack, wearing gaiters, helmet, etc... They thought they were there for a day hike and we're ready for an expedition.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 27th, 2017, 7:26 am

I had a guy going up the paved part of the Wahkeena trail near Lemmon's Viewpoint ask me how much farther it was to Multnomah Falls Lodge. He was extremely skeptical when I told him it was actually down at the highway; he insisted he'd seen a sign saying it was up the Wahkeena trail! :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 27th, 2017, 7:47 am

did you eventually convince him the lodge was down by the highway?

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 27th, 2017, 8:10 am

From the burned disturbingly in my mind department: you'd think people who can't step discretely off the trail to pee would be strictly a guy thing (and by the way, if you're going to stand there holding your junk, at least take your headphones out so you can hear people approach). Nope. Tell that to the young woman who replayed the Basic Instinct scene on the not-vaguely-private Wahkeena trail. Not even squatting on the ground, but propped up in the air on a branch, shorts on the ground, knees to the winds, everything else facing oncoming traffic. Ie, me.
Bosterson wrote:I had a guy going up the paved part of the Wahkeena trail near Lemmon's Viewpoint ask me how much farther it was to Multnomah Falls Lodge.
SO many weird directions questions in that area! I think every other trailhead along that stretch has an info board. Really wish they'd put one at Wahkeena, with a map. Or at least up at the bridge where the bench used to be, before people start heading up the switchbacks thinking they're going to see the top of the falls.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 27th, 2017, 11:57 am

If you only could take one thing with you on a hike, what would it be? It may depend on the trail, so lets say a 10-mile hike on a canyon trail with 1,500-2,000 feet of gain on a fair weather day, and let's call the trail Grinnell Glacier (Glacier NP) for some perspective.

You can rule out any of the 10 essentials on this one. A college-age male's response to this question was a football. I hope he had good hands because one fumble and that would be it for the game ball. My conclusion: his coach would only allow him on the family vacation if he tookt he ball everywhere.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

squidvicious wrote:SO many weird directions questions in that area!
There's a reason we call the 419/420 circle the "Wahkeena Vortex"... You'd be surprised (or maybe not?) how many people seem to get stuck walking around and around in circles....