Advice for Solar Eclipse...Painted Hills?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
alexcr

Advice for Solar Eclipse...Painted Hills?

Post by alexcr » June 23rd, 2017, 2:24 am

I'm based in Southern California and planning on making the drive up to Oregon to experience the solar eclipse in August. I've been doing some initial research on a good place to camp for the eclipse. The ideal spot would be...

1) Right in the path of the total eclipse.

2) In an area with relatively reliable weather in August.

3) A bit removed, relatively speaking, from the crowds, e.g. the festivals in Madras.

4) With good, flexible options for camping that are free or reasonably priced.

One option I came upon that seems promising is the Painted Hills region. I'd be curious to get folks thoughts - especially any advice about camping in the area - and any alternative recommendations people have. Thanks in advance!

retired jerry

Re: Advice for Solar Eclipse...Painted Hills?

Post by retired jerry » June 23rd, 2017, 5:57 am

It's nice to be on a hill so you can see the shadow coming and going, and see to the sides north and south

drm

Post by drm » June 23rd, 2017, 6:42 am

I think that the monument does not allow camping anywhere and campgrounds in the general area will probably be taken well in advance.

Really if you don't have a rock solid reservation for a campsite already, then you probably need to drive down a lonely road and just find a spot and stop and put your car seat back, like the person doing the same a hundred yards further down the road.

pcg

Post by pcg » June 23rd, 2017, 7:19 am

drm wrote:drive down a lonely road and just find a spot and stop and put your car seat back, like the person doing the same a hundred yards further down the road immediately in front of you
More here...

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =9&t=20500

drm

Post by drm » June 23rd, 2017, 12:59 pm

immediately in front of you
I'm starting to get the idea that the least crowded place to watch the eclipse might be at the Oregon Solarfest 2017 camping area near Madras. As long as they have enough porta-potties

Somebody should create a contest - the winner is the person or group with the most creative and effective place to see it from - to be awarded AFTER the eclipse based on photos taken that day (so you don't have to give up your secret ahead of time).

alexcr

Post by alexcr » June 23rd, 2017, 10:23 pm

Thanks, everyone! Yes, it seems like camping is not an option in the Painted Hills itself due to it being part of a national monument. On top of that, it looks like there's limited terrain to explore in the Painted Hills, i.e. just a few trails that aren't longer than a mile or two. With all the crowds expected, I imagine it could end up being a mob scene and not much fun. I'm also getting the sense that all the designated campsites close to the Painted Hills are well booked, too.

However, it seems like dispersed camping is an option for NFS and BLM lands, including the nearby Ochoco National Forest and Malheur National Forest. What do folks think about those as options? (I'd probably aim to arrive a couple days in advance of the eclipse itself.) Any peaks in those parks that would be ideal for the eclipse itself? Strawberry Mountain? Dixie Butte? Spanish Peak? White or Black Buttes?

Feel free to PM me, too, if you prefer not to reply to all.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I suspect anywhere you can make a reservation (motel, campsite, etc.) has already been booked.

The least-appealing prospect appears to be Newport with a 44% chance of overcast on that day according to a Chamber of Commerce (?) news release last week.

The best place to be at for the eclipse, where the sky will be clear, there are flexible and reasonably-priced options is to dial 503-

If you do not think there are 1,000 people with their telephones in hand that have just dialed 503, you are in denial. Your only reasonable option at this very late date is to find a national forest pullout on the Friday before the eclipse and walk cross-country to a meadow or overlook that does not have a trail to it, and set up camp for a few days (be sure to bring in plenty of water). With the hundreds of thousands of people flooding central Oregon, there are just not enough accommodations (electric or not). Affordable, not.

If I thought there would be any room at the trailhead, I'd hike up to the summit of Lookout Mountain (east of Prineville) and pitch a tent. The reality is that there are probably already a hundered other cars on their way there already and there's only space for about 10.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 1:30 pm

I shared your request for information with a few of my coworkers and a response was made, with the request it be forwarded. The piece of advice seems to fit all of your parameters: (1) you will see the eclipse in its entirety, (2) weather will not be a problem, (3) you will not have any crowds (no matter how many people read this), (4) its free, and (5) even though it was not one of your parameters, you will not have to deal with the incredibly awful traffic that will exist on the day of the eclipse.

View the eclipse on the internet from the privacy of your house.

This is a serious option which will be pursued by a number of Oregonians who are concerned that the highways will be in gridlock that day to the multitude of people traveling across the country to be a part of the twice-in-a-lifetime experience. Although you may not physically be in the path of the eclipse, someone else's camera will be. You won't burn your eyes by viewing it on the internet, and you won't be stuck in gridlock somewhere short of your intended destination either!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 26th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Has anyone seen or heard what Warm Springs rules are going to be for their lands? Or even if current ones will be enforced? Like access to Olallie Butte and the lakes south of Olallie Lake in particular?
I don't want to go there. It's actually more of a potential traffic question. I already have my spot... :D

Guy

Post by Guy » June 26th, 2017, 2:40 pm

pdxgene wrote:Has anyone seen or heard what Warm Springs rules are going to be for their lands? Or even if current ones will be enforced? Like access to Olallie Butte and the lakes south of Olallie Lake in particular?
I don't want to go there. It's actually more of a potential traffic question. I already have my spot... :D
I drove through Warm Springs on 26 this past Saturday, pretty much all of that open desert area would be great viewing and there are hundreds of places to pull off the road. This begs the question.

Will HWY26 be miles upon miles of parked cars all along the side of the road from where the trees end to Warm Springs and then on up into Madras. Or will authorities prevent cars from parking off road along there? and on the other public highways too.

I plan to buy one of these EVVs (Eclipse Viewing Vehicle) before the big day so that I can be sure of a good spot

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors