soggy (in which I bitch about the inevitable)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
UTurn

Re: soggy (in which I bitch about the inevitable)

Post by UTurn » May 17th, 2017, 8:49 am

justpeachy wrote:
drm wrote:So is everybody, including the OP, going to be complaining about the heat next week?
Heck no! I know others may disagree, but at this point I welcome a bit of a heat wave.
Ditto! :D

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 17th, 2017, 6:36 pm

drm wrote:So is everybody, including the OP, going to be complaining about the heat next week?
The rant is already composed, and my mouse is hovering over the "submit" button :D

Last weekend, when I was cold and wet, my consolation was "at least it's not hot, which it can be this time of year".

Anyway, I actually liked the snow/ice this year. It was a hassle at times, but kept things interesting.

drm

Post by drm » May 18th, 2017, 6:20 am

Chip Down wrote:The rant is already composed, and my mouse is hovering over the "submit" button :D
Seen a few weeks ago: a sunny day at the top of Coyote Wall. No clouds and temps then about 60 deg at most. All the folds taking a break were sitting in the shade.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 18th, 2017, 6:51 am

BigBear wrote: but being selective ... has had its rewards.
Ummm, yeah! I'm 4/25 on wetness this year.
Chip Down wrote:Seems like I've had a lot of damp hikes lately. Maybe it's just selective memory though. Let's see what my hiking log shows:

5/13: wet
5/6: wet
4/29: wet
4/23: wet
4/15: wet
4/14: wet
4/9: wet
4/1: wet
3/25: wet
3/19: wet
3/12: dry? (cant remember for sure)
3/5: wet
2/26: wet
2/25: dry
2/19: wet

What the hell?! :x
Dude. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 18th, 2017, 10:15 am

After seven and a half straight months of wetter and colder than average weather, there is a small but not impossible chance that the persistent weather pattern we've been under may turn on a dime and enter a completely new phase: warmer and drier than average. But don't quote me on that. I don't have any insider information from the weather gods, just a small nagging hunch looking to the skies for confirmation in any hint of sun.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2017, 5:39 am

kepPNW wrote:
BigBear wrote: but being selective ... has had its rewards.
Ummm, yeah! I'm 4/25 on wetness this year.
And, it seems that, after yesterday, today, and tomorrow, only 4 of 28 hikes this will have been wet. :D
Aimless wrote:chance that the persistent weather pattern we've been under may turn on a dime and enter a completely new phase: warmer and drier than average. But don't quote me on that.
Oops! :lol: ;)

Yeah, I've actually heard some of the "weather guys" saying as much, too. And it makes some sense if you think of what we had as "extreme" weather. Why wouldn't it flip to the opposite extreme as the Earth tilts? Hmmm...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chase

Post by Chase » May 19th, 2017, 6:12 am

I think this is the first thread to feature the word "soggy" in the subject line.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 20th, 2017, 5:33 pm

several members wrote:Chip, surely your soggy streak will end this weekend. Look at that glorious forecast!
Wrong. I checked the forecast last night before retiring. Was surprised to see a chance of AM drizzle from Portland to Cascade Locks. Maybe further east, but I didn't check. Sure enough, at sunrise it was perfect, but the clouds thickened and dropped, and sprinkles started 8:00ish I guess. Not enough to get uncomfortably wet, but it counts.

Chase wrote:I think this is the first thread to feature the word "soggy" in the subject line.
Nope.