Metlako Falls Viewpoint

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mattymeis

Metlako Falls Viewpoint

Post by mattymeis » April 28th, 2017, 10:45 am

Hi everyone! First post, but always find great info on this forum.

I am headed to the Gorge in a few weeks and I'm wondering if this view of Metlako is available. I had heard there are some downed trees blocking the view, anyone have an idea? I believe this is Sorenson Creek flowing into the Metlako Falls basin. Thanks!

Photo by Bryan Swan - https://500px.com/bryanswan
Attachments
Metlako.JPG
Photo by Bryan Swan

Chase

Re: Metlako Falls Viewpoint

Post by Chase » April 28th, 2017, 10:48 am

If there's any way I can convince you to not do this, let me know.
You can go off-trail and get not-so-great glimpses of Metlako (not worth it). Going to Sorensen is not advised, as it is straight-up dangerous and not much of a payoff. Please consider other, better, safer waterfalls to view.

[Edit: yeah, you're not going to get that view nor a photo half as good of the falls]

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 28th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Wasn't the last know person to hike this recovered dead at the bottom after a presumed fall?

Guy

Post by Guy » April 28th, 2017, 3:45 pm

mattymeis wrote:Hi everyone! First post, but always find great info on this forum.

I am headed to the Gorge in a few weeks and I'm wondering if this view of Metlako is available. I had heard there are some downed trees blocking the view, anyone have an idea? I believe this is Sorenson Creek flowing into the Metlako Falls basin. Thanks!
Well slightly worse than a few trees, the entire viewpoint fell off into the creek below. It would be possible to walk to the new edge and peer over at Metlako but not a good idea, you would not know if you were standing on solid ground or a 6" think section of roots and soil over the abyss!

the Metlako view point used be right there where there is now air :)

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » April 28th, 2017, 7:18 pm

That picture was not at the area affected by the landslide, but last I heard there were several trees down in the creek that make it difficult to get anything resembling a clean shot. It's been years since I was there last - going to be in the area again in a couple weeks and I do plan on trying to shoot there again, but whether you beat me to it or not, I can't say.

And yes, that is looking over Sorenson Falls.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 28th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Sore Feet wrote:That picture was not at the area affected by the landslide, but last I heard there were several trees down in the creek that make it difficult to get anything resembling a clean shot. It's been years since I was there last - going to be in the area again in a couple weeks and I do plan on trying to shoot there again, but whether you beat me to it or not, I can't say.

And yes, that is looking over Sorenson Falls.
Agreed. The area pictured is not near the landslide/rockfall. It is looking down Sorenson Creek at Metlako. I was there just a few weeks ago but failed to take a photo so can't say for sure if there are trees down that would spoil the view. I don't think so though. As I recall, the view toward Metlako was ok from that spot (which is not a particularly safe pace to get to!!)

If you are coming to the area and want to grab a few pics or do a hike send a PM and let's get together. It has been a long time!!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 1st, 2017, 8:54 am

There are no reasonably safe viewpoints of Metlako Falls. You should also not be trying to beat a path off trail to try to find one. If there had been a great viewing site that was safe, there would have been a trail to it a century ago and it would still exist today.

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » May 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm

BigBear wrote:There are no reasonably safe viewpoints of Metlako Falls. You should also not be trying to beat a path off trail to try to find one. If there had been a great viewing site that was safe, there would have been a trail to it a century ago and it would still exist today.
There was one, but as Guy pointed out above, the entire Metlako viewpoint is now gone. Please though, don't go off-trail (or cut off switchbacks) on over-populated low elevation trails in the Gorge. Average precipitation in the Gorge is 75-80 inches - double what you get in Portland or Vancouver. During the winter monsoons, every little user-built trail becomes a raging stream. The Forest Service does not have funding to keep up with all of the washouts and tree fall that occurred last winter, and there are not enough volunteers to go around.

For a good steep hike, try Mt. Defiance, Nesmith, or Table Mountain. For off-trail adventures, there is a Scrambles category in the field guide, and there are books on this topic.

And of course, please consider volunteering to do some trail maintenance. You can sign up with TKO, PCTA, WTA, Mazamas, etc. to get on the email list for upcoming work parties. You will never look at trails the same way again.