Why is Multnomah Basin so spooky?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pcg

Why is Multnomah Basin so spooky?

Post by pcg » April 27th, 2017, 9:18 am

It's not just the moss. Multnomah Basin always feels spooky to me.
Attachments
Multnomah Basin 6.jpg
Multnomah Basin 5.jpg
Multnomah Basin 4.jpg
Multnomah Basin 3.jpg
Multnomah Basin 2.jpg
Multnimah Basin 1.jpg

Peder

Re: Why is Multnomah Basin so spooky?

Post by Peder » April 27th, 2017, 9:37 am

The only spooky thing is that 1931 Buick that drives around up there!

"Some assembly required"

You have to locate the Buick's eight cylinder engine

The tires are more difficult to find

Then you must purchase fuel

Now you can take the Buick for a spin and spook hikers!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pcg

Post by pcg » April 27th, 2017, 9:50 am

I was going to say the spookiest thing about that Buick is the missing driver...
and then I saw him!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2017, 11:23 am

Not sure what's spooky about an old car on Multnomah Basin. There used to be roads and a homestead up in that area. Actually there still is a road, but you need a key to the gate.

What's spooky to me is that these areas used to be open and now they are not. For example, I hiked with people who remember driving their car up to Aldrich Butte to take in the sunset, and now you can't even hike there because of private property restrictions. That is spooky!

As for the initial tone of the thread: the mossy, foggy forests bringing on thoughts of Edgar Allen Poe novels coming to life... The human mind turns every sound in the forest into grizzly bears, cougars and other horrible meat-eating beasts. Well, yes, you are being watched. Every hike you walk, a thousand eyes are staring you down, watching your every move. While you are turning nervously, expecting to see a bear that has been created in your mind... the reality is that it's a squirrel or bird that is wondering about YOUR evil intentions.

Don't worry about a snap of a twig or a thumping on the ground being a cougar. It won't be a cougar. The big cat will hit you without a sound. How's that for painting an eerie picture?

markesc

Post by markesc » April 27th, 2017, 11:43 am

I'm gonna go with the sound or lack of as the mossy surfaces absorb sound, and you're high enough/far enough away from the 84. I think we're all used to a constant barrage of sound at all times. Just try buying a nice mic, and going out to record birds, then you really realize just how much sound pollution exists. I'm hoping someday someone invents a tire/road surface combo that's a lot quieter than now. And silent refrigerator compressors!

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » April 28th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Right now for me it's the grouse, and their creepy low jug-band "hooting." Dang creepy little trail chickens.

Guy

Post by Guy » April 28th, 2017, 6:38 pm

I don't find the Multnomah Plateau spooky at all but the Bridal Veil Plateau now that's a whole different story..................
I wont hike this on my own anymore, Fine in a group but on my own I can't shake the feeling that I'm being followed.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 29th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Guy wrote:I don't find the Multnomah Plateau spooky at all but the Bridal Veil Plateau now that's a whole different story..................
I wont hike this on my own anymore, Fine in a group but on my own I can't shake the feeling that I'm being followed.
Agreed. Unlike Bridalveil, Multnomah Basin never had the recent permanent human habitation. Plus, Multonomah Basin still has that feel of being the "woods." Whereas, Bridalveil has a disturbed feel to it what with all the recent human detritus, its proximity to Palmer Mill Road, and the newer smaller trees with thick undergrowth criss crossed with old roads. Bridalveil is the only place in the Gorge I kept looking over my shoulder as I couldn't shake that feeling of being followed like Guy described. I've never hiked it with someone else so perhaps that would help.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » April 30th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Is it simply because it's rare to see other hikers there? I explored that area for a couple hours today and only saw one other party, and the area seemed much less spooky after chatting with them for a few minutes.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

stevenrbi

Post by stevenrbi » April 30th, 2017, 7:25 pm

I have had many hikes in the Multnomah basin through the years and have never found it a spooky place. I have found many interesting things up there and I still enjoy hearing about its history. I can’t say the same for the Bridal Veil Plateau. I have hiked up there numerous times and have come across some strange things like illegal grow sites and a hidden illegal cabin. I have even heard voices while hiking that I couldn’t find the source. A few years ago, someone kept flooding one of the more popular trails by intentionally diverting a steam onto the trail probably to discourage people from hiking in that area. Like others I have also felt that I was being watched at times. I suspect that there is, at times, illegal stuff going on at the BV Plateau. I doubt anything like that is going on at the Multnomah Basin. At least, I’ve never seen any evidence like I have on the BV Plateau.

Steve