Cougars in Multnomah Basin?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
BigBear

Re: Cougars in Multnomah Basin?

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2017, 9:00 am

Over the years, I have seen fresh, muddy bobcat prints on the morning snow on Devils Rest, and bear prints & urine stains on snow near Triple Falls. I now both of those mammals use the trails in the area. Haven't noticed any sign of cougars on the trail in this area, but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. I have seen cougar tracks on the Washington side of the Gorge.

The only mountain lion I consciously suspected I came close to was in Sequoia - I came around the corner and heard a soft "roar," backtracked and waited a few minutes (hoping it was a bear) and then proceeded forward. Why continue forward and not go back? If it had been a cougar, its too late to hastily retreat if I was that close, and if it was a bear, a few minutes would have given it a chance to move on.

markesc

Post by markesc » April 27th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Yeah they are out there, but they're more scared of you than otherwise...then again if you had your dog, it was prob sizing 'em up, but I doubt would do anything with you there!!!

I've not spotted one myself, but I did spot this friendly bobcat at Rowena a few years ago, and I have been noticing a lot more non deer/ non dog tracks as of late:
meow.jpg

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » April 27th, 2017, 12:43 pm

pcg wrote:In addition, having a large dog (on a leash for his safety)
Not his safety. A disciplined dog on a leash may, as in this instance, give you a heads-up before you walk into danger. A free-range dog bounding and barking about is more likely to annoy the local fauna and come running straight back to you with an angry bear etc on his tail.

I have actually seen both a bear and a cougar in that area. Not excited at the prospect of running into either one again, but even as a solo hiker it doesn't put me off. The bears I expect are even more interested in avoiding me than I am them. Cougars do scare me more because I know they don't give a crap, but I also know there's plenty of more attractive prey for them around here. I'd be more concerned if I were a mountain biker or trail runner--something moving quickly and triggering an attack instinct--or if there had been bad drought or fire that reduced their access to typical prey. I see plenty of deer around, so I'm feeling ok there.

I just try to make noise as I hike (not hard for me), remember to look up once in a while (harder), and give any dead animals I might come upon a very, very wide berth. And hope that any cougars will, like housecats, just look at me with a quiet disdain while they mostly ignore me. Which I'm sure they're done many times without me ever realizing.

What's funny is even knowing there's definitely bear and cougar there, I'm not put off. But tell me an area is big for ticks, and it's "Oh hell no, find a different hike!" Well, in reality, I do have more to fear from the ticks, so maybe not that funny.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » May 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm

squidvicious wrote:
pcg wrote: Well, in reality, I do have more to fear from the ticks,...
With Lyme disease becoming established in the NW, that is very, very true.

CMH

Post by CMH » May 2nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

I actually glimpsed a cougar halfway up the Larch Mt. Trail in December 2015. I wasn't quick enough to take a picture of the cat, but I did get a shot of its print.
Attachments
asdfasdf.png
Cougar tracks on Larch Mountain Trail.

Greendrake

Post by Greendrake » May 18th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Its quite possible there's more cougars in the state of Oregon than there ever has been.
Hunting them with dogs was banned in the 90s and we don't have wolves in numbers to kill the kittens,
as they do when cougars den away from rim rock country plus we have no grizz the apex.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has some good info/tips.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/cougars.html

Pdxmaestro

Post by Pdxmaestro » May 22nd, 2017, 3:32 pm

yup I carry a marine air horn. They are VERY light and VERY loud. Pretty sure if I tooted it any bear or cat would jump and run. But I have bear spray too for worst case. Never had to use either one. But just in case.