Looking for dude trip near us...... need help;)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Traildude1980

Looking for dude trip near us...... need help;)

Post by Traildude1980 » April 25th, 2017, 7:47 am

Hello everyone, I am looking for a few good locations for a little hike in overnight trip. I live in Vancouver and a few guys from work wanna do a little overnighter somewhere. It can be in southern Washington or northern Oregon. Only a couple requests, near water, no hard hikes(got a few older gentlemen with us) and less than an hour drive so we can be dropped off..... do we stick with the mt hood forest or try southern at helens? Please help......

abrown024

Re: Looking for dude trip near us...... need help;)

Post by abrown024 » April 25th, 2017, 9:29 am

When are you planning on going?
Consumed by wanderlust, fueled by PB&J

drm

Post by drm » April 25th, 2017, 10:09 am

Assuming it is now or soon, I think you are looking at the Gorge, Eagle or Herman Creeks. If the weather is nice, they will be crowded on weekends. You could also do the Deschutes River.

Traildude1980

Post by Traildude1980 » April 25th, 2017, 10:50 am

We are gonna go this summer and probably on a Saturday morning..... so would like off the beaten path a little. So close to water, not too hard of a hike and a campfire for sure.....

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm

I know the perfect spot:

You head up this country road that I know, heading out of town, you know the one. Turn on the gravel road where that big red barn used to be, you know, the one that burned down some years back. Don't follow the road to the end, everyone starts there. Instead, park under that interesting tree. Head out into the woods for a few miles until you reach that unnamed lake, not the first one, the second one. That is, unless the first one dried up and the grass has grown up and filled it in, then it's the second one. There's a great hidden campsite - you can't see it from the lake, but just head over that way and you'll find it.

This is kinda what I think a description of "off the beaten path" might sound like.

Everyone wants: close into town, scenic, and uncrowded. One of the three has to be excluded. You cannot have all three, especially on a sunny, summer weekend.

You will need to do some research. The snow level and campfire restrictions at the scenic locations will limit your choices considerably. Not knowing the month you want to go will have a massive impact on your choice anyone can provide. In June, the snow may be 10 feet deep, but only five feet deep by mid-July, and just buggy in August. Another location will be far too hot in August. I think hiking/backpacking guides will be more useful than this forum for this question.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » April 25th, 2017, 12:18 pm

My favorite guide for quick overnighters near Portland is One Night Wilderness: Portland

https://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Wilder ... 0899974635

Lots of good suggestions in there that meet your criteria... keep an eye on the snow level from trip reports and plan an A, B, and C option.
Last edited by CampinCarl on April 26th, 2017, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Traildude1980

Post by Traildude1980 » April 26th, 2017, 8:42 am

We are gonna go up July 9-10th.....;) good info so far fellas....

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 26th, 2017, 8:59 am

I think Salmon River Trail #742 would be nice that time of year as you get farther in and away from the crowds. I don't know where you would camp however.

drm

Post by drm » April 26th, 2017, 10:16 am

You should consider the Lewis River Trail out of it's western (Curly Ck) trailhead. Good campsites next to a decent river from about 2 to 4 miles in. Then it heads uphill for a while without campsites. You won't have it to yourself, but less crowded than many spots.

peanut170

Post by peanut170 » April 26th, 2017, 4:11 pm

BigBear wrote:I know the perfect spot:

You head up this country road that I know, heading out of town, you know the one. Turn on the gravel road where that big red barn used to be, you know, the one that burned down some years back. Don't follow the road to the end, everyone starts there. Instead, park under that interesting tree. Head out into the woods for a few miles until you reach that unnamed lake, not the first one, the second one. That is, unless the first one dried up and the grass has grown up and filled it in, then it's the second one. There's a great hidden campsite - you can't see it from the lake, but just head over that way and you'll find it.

This is kinda what I think a description of "off the beaten path" might sound like.

Everyone wants: close into town, scenic, and uncrowded. One of the three has to be excluded. You cannot have all three, especially on a sunny, summer weekend.

You will need to do some research. The snow level and campfire restrictions at the scenic locations will limit your choices considerably. Not knowing the month you want to go will have a massive impact on your choice anyone can provide. In June, the snow may be 10 feet deep, but only five feet deep by mid-July, and just buggy in August. Another location will be far too hot in August. I think hiking/backpacking guides will be more useful than this forum for this question.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nailed it