Going insane; need hike advice for Crater Lake, 3 Sisters...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Going insane; need hike advice for Crater Lake, 3 Sister

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2017, 11:44 am

there's less snow on the East side of the Cascades, like Park Meadow, snow level above 3000 feet now

the Rogue River will be hot and crowded, but still nice

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 26th, 2017, 3:16 pm

As others have already noted, I wouldn't count of getting into the Southern Cascades / Crater Lake area snow-free until late June or later. We've still got 36" or better on the Siskiyou Crest and 60-80 inches in the Southern Cascades, and it's not melting very fast. When it does go, there's still the issue of damage to the access roads & trails, with fallen trees, washouts, etc. limiting access. We're thankful for all the water but it really messes with the hiking season.

On a happier note, I would add the following to drm's suggestions:

(a) The 27-mile Wild Rogue Loop (SMC) - open now, the only trick being possible high water in Mule Creek.

(b) The 30-mile Illinois River Trail (see the Field Guide) - may be a little warm in late June but there's no snow and this wet year will mean the springs are running. You need a shuttle to do a thru hike but you can do an out-and-back from either trailhead.

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » April 28th, 2017, 12:42 pm

This is excellent, everyone; really really appreciate all of this.
I think for the late May Crater Lake idea, we're going to do the Rogue River instead. Very excited for that. And maybe swing by Crater, just to check conditions, see if we can get somewhere for a cheap/quick viewpoint (any suggestions for that would be welcome?).
For the June thing: Yeah, it's looking grim. Bitter tears. I'm not that worried about hiking on snow, though (I do snowshoe-ing and crampons and so on), but it depends what kind of snow.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 28th, 2017, 12:56 pm

driving up to Crater Lake, I predict you will encounter a road closed by snow. Maybe close enough that you could walk up to the rim. There's no view until you get up to the rim.

in June you could see how far up you could get. The Metolius River is close by and would be a good back-up - I was there a month ago and there was a little snow, but probably gone now.