Reactions to trekking poles

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
arlohike

Reactions to trekking poles

Post by arlohike » April 2nd, 2017, 6:31 pm

I started using trekking poles a couple years ago and I've been amused by the reactions they get in the last mile of my Gorge hikes. This ranges from positive ("I need to get some of those") to inquisitive ("How do those help you?") to disparaging (wife to husband as I pass by: "Would you like to get some of those sticks?" "NO!"). The best was from an elderly woman hiking with apparently her kids and grandkids and carrying an impressive wooden walking staff. She looked up and shouted, "Hey, I like your sticks!"

How about you, have you had amusing reactions to trekking poles or other gear?
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

retired jerry

Re: Reactions to trekking poles

Post by retired jerry » April 2nd, 2017, 8:19 pm

I always wear gaiters. To keep dirt and stuff out of my shoes.

Sometimes people will ask me if there was snow where I was going.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 3rd, 2017, 6:19 am

Pole comments are rare, used to be a little more frequent. Nowadays I get more questions from young hikers (kids < ~10) who sincerely want to know what those things are for.

As for gaiters, I used to get lots of comments on my Dirty Girls, especially the ones that looked like pink lips (supposed to be maroon coffee beans), but I think DGs have become so popular hardly anyone even bats an eye any more.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » April 3rd, 2017, 6:35 am

The only time I can remember anyone ever commenting on my poles was once or twice this winter on the snowy, icy Wahkeena, when I-don't-even-know-how-you-got-this-far-or-why people crawling in tennis shoes asked if they helped. Usually maybe 25% or so of the people I see (on weekdays) have them, so it would seem weird to me if someone suddenly took notice. Which is funny, because one of the reasons I resisted using them at first was because I felt silly and conspicuous. Now I really wouldn't want to be without them.

I did comment on someone's gaiters once. I expressed my extreme jealousy as I was dumping out my shoes of rocks and pine needles once again.

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 3rd, 2017, 7:01 am

This is funny, because I have not really ever have any comment on my poles in all the years of using them. That is, until yesterday. I had two ppl remark on them, using them in all the muck and mud on two trails at the Oregon coast yesterday. I assume because both trails are the domain of tourists/"flip-floppers", casual hikers who probably haven't used them before.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 3rd, 2017, 9:04 am

I have received several comments over the years from novices who thought they were ski poles and wondered either how deep the snow was further up the trail or what I did with my skis.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » April 3rd, 2017, 1:54 pm

I've never had a comment about my trekking poles, but I did get a question once about the tube from my hydration bladder, wondering whether the supplemental oxygen helps (asked quite seriously while hiking at about 5000 feet).

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 4th, 2017, 4:59 am

I came down a steep slope to a trail and switched into trail mode: took my trekking poles off my pack and started coiling my rope. A couple strolled by, and I asked where I was. After they provided advice, one of them said "hey, look, somebody left a pair of ski poles here". :lol:

Probably the main equipment comment I've gotten is on the crampons. Usually something like "wow, I need to get some of those".

Although nobody has ever said anything, I'm sure people have looked at me and wondered "why is that guy packing an ice axe in the summer?"

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 4th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Yep, I was once asked why I was carrying ski poles when I did a Wahkeena-Larch Mtn hike (up to Sherrard Point via Wahkeena and down the same way). I just smiled, shook my head and casually mentioned that they are trekking poles.

Side note (sorry for the thread drift here) but one time a dad said to his son, "look son, we forgot our whistle!" and pointed to the lanyard around my neck. They both laughed. I smiled... Oh well. SAR loves folks who go unprepared. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

phijef

Post by phijef » April 7th, 2017, 3:38 am

The only reactions I ever get on my poles is when miah66 is asking why I didn't use them if I am always packing them along.