Lost Lake Road

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Limey

Lost Lake Road

Post by Limey » February 25th, 2017, 10:58 pm

For those who might be interested, Lost Lake Road is plowed and mostly bare pavement to within 6 miles of the lake. Wasn't prepared for hiking as we were just out for a drive to check things out. Sure wished we had our snow shoes with us when we discovered how close we could get.

pdxgene

Re: Lost Lake Road

Post by pdxgene » February 26th, 2017, 9:24 am

When did they start doing that again? That would be more or less Lolo Pass Rd junction?
For a while now it had just been to the last residence. That's good to know, thanx... :)

Limey

Post by Limey » February 26th, 2017, 2:21 pm

It's past Lolo Pass road. From what we could tell it was done for some logging operations. The plowing ends at the large logging area about 3/4 mile past the junction. Also noticed in the logging areas there are signs saying no entry without permit.

pcg

Post by pcg » February 26th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Thanks for this info. Did you happen to get a GPS fix for where the plowing ends?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 26th, 2017, 6:03 pm

The Mt Hood FS site says the road is closed due to snow drifts but doesn't mention anything about logging closures. It might be interesting to call and find out what the deal is.
It almost gets depressing driving in there now, the surrounding hillsides have been logged so heavily. And contrary to those tv commercials that run every now and then none of them appear to have had any replanting efforts made whatsoever over a number of years. And that's not really intended as a comment on the logging itself, just the depressing appearance of the result.

Limey

Post by Limey » February 26th, 2017, 7:20 pm

pcg, didn't have my gps with me so didn't get a fix.

pdxgene, there were no logging closures. I believe the signs were the Weyerhaeuser "don't step on our land unless you pay us big bucks" signs. I agree with you, it is depressing to see all the clearcuts with no replanting. Guess they'll keep doing it as long as no one checks to see if it's happening.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 27th, 2017, 7:31 am

Limey wrote:pcg, didn't have my gps with me so didn't get a fix.

pdxgene, there were no logging closures. I believe the signs were the Weyerhaeuser "don't step on our land unless you pay us big bucks" signs. I agree with you, it is depressing to see all the clearcuts with no replanting. Guess they'll keep doing it as long as no one checks to see if it's happening.
So then as long as you stay on the road you can park at the end of the plowed section and snowshoe into the lake with no issues with Weyerhauser?

Limey

Post by Limey » February 27th, 2017, 9:04 am

pdxgene, yes, there is a small area where you could park. In fact, there was a car parked there at the time.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 27th, 2017, 10:03 am

Limey wrote:pdxgene, yes, there is a small area where you could park. In fact, there was a car parked there at the time.
Thanx..... :)
Just in case there's ever a day nice enough to make it worth effort any time soon...lol... (it seriously seems like it takes forever if you haven't done it before)..