2017 Bird Creek Trail Restoration Project

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

2017 Bird Creek Trail Restoration Project

Post by drm » January 15th, 2017, 4:08 pm

After some discussion among various interested groups, the Yakama Nation in particular, Washington Trail Association is going to have a focused effort to restore hiker trails and access to the Bird Creek Meadows area this year. Friends of Mt Adams was involved in these discussions and made a $1000 contribution to the WTA for this project, and I believe some other groups may follow suit. FOMA had considered making the contribution directly to the Yakama, but after some discussions all agreed to house the project in WTA, which works closely with the Yakama as well.

WTA will host at least three trail work trips this summer to the area: a weeklong vacation, a 4-day Back Country Response Trip (BCRT - these are backpacking trips - take the tools with you and stay up there), and a shorter 3 or 4-day front country event that people can do for just part of the trip. Ryan will announce exact dates for these, but expect August and September.

WTA is also going to host two Trails and Ales events to highlight the effort and get more contributions and volunteers. Tentative dates for these are March 22 in Vancouver and May 12 in the Mt Adams area. We also expect there to be a presentation/slide show in the Fall in White Salmon. Watch here for details about these events.

The expectation now is that while the road to Bird Creek Meadows will not open this year, most of the hiking trails will be open via access from the national forest, so either Round the Mountain or Snipes Mountain trails. I assume this includes access from the northeast as well, and will confirm that when I know more.

So please join us at some of the above events so we can help the Yakama get this premier hiking destination back in shape for hiking. Ryan, please follow with any additions, or corrections if I got anything wrong.

miah66

Re: 2017 Bird Creek Trail Restoration Project

Post by miah66 » January 24th, 2017, 10:21 am

Great looking forward to those trails and ales events!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider