2017 - A Lookback at Your Hiking Numbers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
BigBear

2017 - A Lookback at Your Hiking Numbers

Post by BigBear » December 30th, 2016, 9:43 am

Well, another year is rapidly coming to an end. So, how many miles have you accumulated during the past 12 months, what were your favorite hikes and any to avoid in the future?

Total Miles: 1,220 (estimated thru Saturday, my best in 15 years)
Favorite Hike of the Year: Garfield Peak, Crater Lake NP (great photo opts every step)
Favorite New Hike of the Year: Twin Lakes, Umpqua NF (views, old trees, flowers, butterflies, etc)
Least Favorite Hike of the Year: Nestucca Spit (still flooded by the winter storms on Apr 10th)

Here's to a better 2017 on the trail.

Double Tree

Re: 2017 - A Lookback at Your Hiking Numbers

Post by Double Tree » December 30th, 2016, 2:21 pm

I am at 419 miles, 87 different hike-days, and a hike (even if small) each weekend. Not including tomorrow, yet. About 38 of those days are Wahkeena/Mult Falls/Devils Rest, but they are in my back yard, and work well in bad weather. 10 night backpacking. Not my biggest year, but not bad. This is my 3rd year straight of a hike each weekend.

Favorite hike: Trinity Alps, Canyon Creek. Spectacular. It's like Opal Creek with white granite mountains.

All around favorite hiking: Wallowas.

Least favorite: Tillamook Head trail. It was muddy and full of downed trees.

Kelly

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 30th, 2016, 3:13 pm

48 nights of car camping
38 nights of backpacking
546.5 miles
55800 feet of elevation gain
almost the same as the previous three years - a few less backpacking days because my knee was bothering me a bit

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » December 30th, 2016, 5:32 pm

61 days on trails
793 miles
A little over 125k of elevation gain

Hard to pick a favorite, maybe Ice Lake and the Matterhorn in the Wallowas or Vulcan Lake in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness (both were new to us).

Least favorite was the Illinois River Trail, it was beautiful but we were there during some sort of tick hatch and spent most of the time flicking them off of us. :roll:

Peder

Post by Peder » December 30th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Total Miles: 450 & 90,000' EG (less than usual - I worked too much)
Favorite Hikes of the Year: Off-trail in Petra; St Helens Lake on snowshoes; and a couple of 26 milers with my daughter
Least Favorite Hike of the Year: No clue!

Hike/ scramble with Andrea in Malaysia
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Post by Guy » December 30th, 2016, 6:28 pm

506 Miles, down on last year but I made a concerted effort over the last two months to at least top 500!

Hard to pick a favorite but the Spring Hike at the Dalles Mt. Ranch was certainly very memorable!

Also got to hike with my family in the UK on their home turf in the Lake District which was memorable for many reasons.

There are no "Worst" hikes :)
Last edited by Guy on December 31st, 2016, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

DannyH

Post by DannyH » December 31st, 2016, 8:19 am

402 miles this year. Significantly fewer than last year due to the Fusion Pass investment and a lot of skiing and snowboarding :D

Favorites: Granite Peak in the Trinity Alps & Timberline Trail backpack. Both were reunions of my friends from college which really made them the most memorable.

Least favorite: The weeklong suffering from poison oak after trying to find the old cabin on Hamilton Mountain.

Most excited for: Crater Lake and Mount Thielsen
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2016, 8:35 am

How did you get to Granite Peak?

I keep eyeing that, like from Long Canyon

It looks like it might pretty nice between the end of Long Canyon and Granite Peak

It was pretty snowy the last time I tried to get there so I went the other direction

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » December 31st, 2016, 10:09 am

Didn't really track my hikes or miles or elevation much this year. Best guess is about 12 nights on the trail, 3-4 car camping. Lots of day trips.
Probably about 400 miles. (But this includes lots of just hikes around McDonald Forest, Marys Peak, etc, that are just like to get off my butt and do something with a weekend, when I don't have time to commit to backpacking.)

Favorite New Hike - Wallowas/Eagle Cap. It was my birthday treat to myself. I'd never been there before, and it was amazing. I got to go at my own pace (which meant waking up at 5:30, hiking until 5, with scattered breaks). Normally I hike with a friend, but he couldn't go, so I didn't have to wait for him to get up at 8:30.

Favorite Old Hike - South Sister. Camped at Lake Morraine with 3 friends on July 3rd. Summited early on the 4th. Had a blast.

Least Favorite Hike - Broken Top. Aforementioned friend and I went with the intention to do a loop in late April/early May, but without consideration to how much snow there wouldn't be. I never got too cold, but I got a nasty sunburn, and we had to abandon our loop dreams because the trailhead was closed 5 miles from 3 creeks lake, and the trail was snowy enough you couldn't follow it. So, least favorite because we were underprepared and undergeared and underplanned.

Limey

Post by Limey » December 31st, 2016, 4:17 pm

Guy, I'm exceedingly envious. I love the lake district.