Camp Fires Salmon Trail Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
amarkey

Camp Fires Salmon Trail Oregon

Post by amarkey » August 1st, 2016, 10:52 am

Hello Everyone,

Looking for rules about campfires on the Salmon River Trail. All I can find is info banning fires from last year. Is that still in effect? Planning on doing a trip this Friday and Saturday on that trail and would love to have a fire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

walkin62

Re: Camp Fires Salmon Trail Oregon

Post by walkin62 » August 2nd, 2016, 1:40 pm

There's currently no fire restrictions in Mt Hood National Forest. You can have a fire as long as you're 200 feet away from the stream, keep it small, and have what you need to put it dead-out before you leave.

amarkey

Post by amarkey » August 3rd, 2016, 12:20 pm

walkin62 wrote:There's currently no fire restrictions in Mt Hood National Forest. You can have a fire as long as you're 200 feet away from the stream, keep it small, and have what you need to put it dead-out before you leave.

Thanks for the info. I also called the park ranger and he told me the same thing. He also encouraged me not to have a fire :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 3rd, 2016, 12:24 pm

amarkey wrote:He also encouraged me not to have a fire :)
Good! Please take that to heart!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 10th, 2016, 12:00 pm

The 200-foot rule would, for all practical purposes, mean no campfires in the first 2 miles of the Salmon River Trail and all of the Old Salmon River Trail. You would have to hike past the viewpoint in order to find a suitable location to camp that is also 200 feet from the river.

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 10th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Exactly. This 200' rule would probably exclude a large number of existing campsite firepits in the state. :evil: And I'm completely fine with that. Decommission when (in)appropriate!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

amarkey

Post by amarkey » August 10th, 2016, 1:18 pm

miah66 wrote:Exactly. This 200' rule would probably exclude a large number of existing campsite fire pits in the state. :evil: And I'm completely fine with that. Decommission when (in)appropriate!
I backpacked Salmon Creek Trail to Goat Creek Campground this past weekend and there are several camping spots very close to the water. We ended up having a small fire every night but we took precautions.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 10th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Im just curious, what is the reason for the 200' minimum from water rule for no campfires?

FWIW I was camping at Duffy Lake last weekend and the rule there was 100', was that because it was a lake vs stream?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 11th, 2016, 8:40 am

The basic reason for limiting campsites, number of tents (people) and campfires is in reducing the impact to an area that potentially receives a lot of foot traffic.

A tent requires a footprint on the ground that over time (frequent usage of an area) turns duff into hard-packed dirt. If you have a campfire, it has to be a certain distance from your tent so you don't burn up your tent and belongings, which results in additional hard-packed dirt between the campfire ring and the tent, and around the campfire ring. Thus, the campfire site goes from being perhaps 10 sq ft of dirt to 50 or 100 sq ft of dirt.

Why is this a concern? In addition to the bare spot being less asthetically attractive than a natural duff soil with randomly placed ferns, runoff from rains can make the river less habitable for fish. By allowing the larger campsites away from streams, where people's attention is drawn and fish swim, the visual and environmental impact are both reduced.

Quite a few campsites along Eagle Creek (Gorge) have been roped off over the past 20 years in order to return them to a more natural condition. Campfires in many areas have been restricted simply because the wood laying on the ground has already been burned by campers and live trees would be the next source of fuel.

MtHood_Oregon

Post by MtHood_Oregon » January 16th, 2017, 10:31 am

Hi folks - the 200 foot rule is intended to apply (where physically feasible). Obviously, much of the Old Salmon R and parts of Salmon R cannot meet that. The intent is to reduce impacts and protect hiker experience. Fire rings and human waste near site have impacts to habitat and water quality. Hikers don't want to feel like we are hiking through your campsite when you camp so close to our trail. That said, leave no trace rules apply. Avoid a fire where/when possible. Consider a fire pan if you must. Keep fires small. Camp as far away from water sources and the trail as possible if terrain restricts 200' rule. In places like Salmon R and Old Salmon R, where use is high and frequent, camp in an existing site - not a new one. Pack out trash you have or that others have left. Don't bother trying to restore campsites. Campsite impacts have already occurred and are not possible to "restore" given continued use demands.