Jefferson Park designated camping update

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Re: Jefferson Park designated camping update

Post by Guy » January 6th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Double Tree wrote:As one ranger in Jefferson Park explained to me, dispersed camping is allowed only if you are camped on a vegetation-free site, preferably an already established site, and you must be able to access it without stepping on any vegetation. There are legal dispersed sites there - but not many. Camping in the meadows is illegal, if you had to step on, or camp on, vegetation. Rock, sand/dirt ok. He also told me just how many illegal fire rings he removed over a year (hundreds). I removed a few myself a couple summers ago.
Kelly
I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone here, I agree with 90% of what has been said but I believe this Rangers interpretation is simply incorrect:
preferably an already established site, and you must be able to access it without stepping on any vegetation.
Dispersed camping has well documented rules and the above are not part of them. So have or don't have disperesed camping but lets not of new levels or degrees of dispersed camping!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » January 7th, 2017, 10:52 am

When I backpacked to Jeff Park in late Sept, we only had a reservation for the second night, so we dispersed camped the first night. We spent an inordinate amount of time finding bare ground to camp on past the lakes. In the end we could not find a bare and flat level spot big enough for our two tents, so we camped about 50 yards apart. These were on the bare sandy spots that occur here and there. But in that subalpine terrain it was pretty easy to walk on sandy spots and not tread on plants. I did wonder how many other campers put that much effort into it.

I was surprised that there weren't more established bare campsites near one of the countless smaller ponds over there. I think this is one difference from Hood and Adams. There are a fair number of established sites on bare ground accessible via social trails from maintained trails. I understand there may be pros and cons to this, but at least the high demand probably tramples on vegetation less when these trails and sites already exist.

Water

Post by Water » January 9th, 2017, 10:52 am

there's a ton of dispersed camping at jeff park. just not immediately around the lakes. that's why there are designated sites there.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Koda

Post by Koda » January 9th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Double Tree wrote:As one ranger in Jefferson Park explained to me, dispersed camping is allowed only if you are camped on a vegetation-free site, preferably an already established site, and you must be able to access it without stepping on any vegetation. There are legal dispersed sites there - but not many. Camping in the meadows is illegal, if you had to step on, or camp on, vegetation. Rock, sand/dirt ok. He also told me just how many illegal fire rings he removed over a year (hundreds). I removed a few myself a couple summers ago.
Kelly
at the risk of sounding like a complete novice to the outdoors... how do you disperse camp on a vegetation free site without getting there by stepping on vegetation? Where are these few legally dispersed sites, do they show on any map? How did they get there if they are "dispersed"? Where is the law that says camping in a meadow is illegal? What exactly makes a fire ring illegal? Where are the rules to all this?
Guy wrote:Dispersed camping has well documented rules and the above are not part of them.
are we certain were not talking about guidelines? Because in some cases "rules" can carry the weight of the law, is that the case here?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » January 9th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Koda wrote:
Guy wrote:Dispersed camping has well documented rules and the above are not part of them.
are we certain were not talking about guidelines? Because in some cases "rules" can carry the weight of the law, is that the case here?
Yes, I think you are correct Koda, poor choice of word on my part.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 9th, 2017, 6:01 pm

What exactly makes a fire ring illegal?

I have seen many places within Oregon wilderness areas where there is a permanent ban on campfires, sign-posted as you approach within a quarter mile or sometimes a half mile of a popular lake. These are most often in subalpine areas, but not always. They are always in heavily visited places. Burnt Lake is one example that most OH.org hikers are likely to be familiar with. I could post some photos of such signs posted in Eagle Cap wilderness.

Any fire ring within such a campfire-restricted zone would be an illegal fire ring.

drm

Post by drm » January 10th, 2017, 7:08 am

Koda wrote:how do you disperse camp on a vegetation free site without getting there by stepping on vegetation?
If you look at this photo of my dispersed site, you can vaguely see that the area is pockmarked with sandy areas. Jefferson Park is a subalpine park and as such the vegetation is not dense like it is for example in many low altitude areas in the Gorge. So you basically need to pick your way through the alpine sedges, stepping on the sandy areas only.

romann

Post by romann » January 12th, 2017, 6:09 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:Just because we can go to these places doesn't mean we should when they become overrun during peak season. It just stops being worth it, no matter how beautiful.
Well said! On all my trips to Jeff Park, I've always camped in the vicinity, even before permits - as much as it's appealing to camp with view of the lakes and the volcano, seeing 3 other campsites from my tent just feels too crowded.

However, I hope they never limit the number of hikers up there. If they want to protect the meadows, why not just ban camping in meadows? (Same thing about visitor limits at Pamelia and Shale - it just doesn't make sense. Just set max number of camping groups per night, problem solved)

markesc

Post by markesc » March 3rd, 2017, 3:15 pm

Well,

This is what happens when we create a society with no consequences. Big shocker.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 3rd, 2017, 4:10 pm

markesc wrote:This is what happens when we create a society with no consequences. Big shocker.
I'm not sure I get your point. Societies with no consequences get the Forest Service setting aside designated campsites in crowded backcountry destinations?