Mult Falls trail closed until thaw

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kepPNW

Mult Falls trail closed until thaw

Post by kepPNW » December 16th, 2016, 5:03 pm

So... "This just in!" :shock: :? :x

Source: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/crgnsa/al ... ?aid=38336
CRGNSA wrote:The 1.2 mile trail from the lower viewing platform at Multnomah Falls to Benson Bridge, which continues to the upper falls is closed until further notice due to dangerously slick surfaces.

The viewing platform is still open for day use. At this time, the Visitor's Center is still open for normal hours (9 a.m. -5 p.m. daily). Please be advised that both road and sidewalk conditions are slick throughout the Multnomah Falls Recreation Site and not all parts have been cleared.
Also...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/crgnsa/posts/590479761152772
CRGNSA wrote:Due to slick conditions, the trail leading up to Benson Bridge from the lower viewing platform at Multnomah Falls is closed until further notice. This 1.2 mile trail is part of Larch Mountain Trail #441, and its closure prevents access to Multnomah Falls Overlook Spur Trail #441A. With Larch Mountain Road closed, this means that Larch Mountain Trail is not easily accessed at this time, and access to Multnomah Spur Trail #446 and Multnomah Creek Way Trail #444 are also limited.
Has this happened before? Presumably, the new preferred route will be the same as when they closed the Benson Bridge?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Re: Mult Falls trail closed until thaw

Post by Guy » December 16th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Up and over from Wahkeena is also another option, I've done this before when the Multnomah trail has been closed.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 16th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Guy wrote:Up and over from Wahkeena is also another option, I've done this before when the Multnomah trail has been closed.
Ahh, so it has happened before... Yeah, Wahkeena was another option I was suggesting to some folks headed that way this weekend.

When they were repairing the bridge, and closed the trail there, it did have the bonus effect of making the forest above luxuriously peaceful! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 16th, 2016, 5:57 pm

The trail has been closed many times due to ice/snow. It is simply too popular with tourist types unprepared for conditions. As guy said, Wahkeena is a good workaround. I've never seen that one closed.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 16th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I visited Multnomah Falls during a cold snap once and slipped and fell on the ice just as I approached the Benson Bridge. That hurt! I was lucky I didn't damage my camera. They closed the trail just a short while after I returned to the car.

walrus

Post by walrus » December 16th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Went up early this morning and came back down through the gate just as they were locking it (around 1).

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 16th, 2016, 7:54 pm

That was on my "maybe" list for the weekend. If I decide to go into the Multnomah area, I might take the elevator shaft. That could be treacherous though, if the snow isn't deep enough. Any thoughts? Is there enough accumulation to make that work? Maybe I should save it for later, or go Wahkeena.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 16th, 2016, 7:58 pm

justpeachy wrote:I visited Multnomah Falls during a cold snap once and slipped and fell on the ice just as I approached the Benson Bridge. That hurt! I was lucky I didn't damage my camera. They closed the trail just a short while after I returned to the car.
Ahh, to be young again, when the worst possible outcome of a fall is damage to one's toys instead of a broken hip. :lol:

Chase

Post by Chase » December 16th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Chip Down wrote:That was on my "maybe" list for the weekend. If I decide to go into the Multnomah area, I might take the elevator shaft. That could be treacherous though, if the snow isn't deep enough. Any thoughts? Is there enough accumulation to make that work? Maybe I should save it for later, or go Wahkeena.
Even with a little more accumulation I wouldnt call that safe.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 16th, 2016, 9:48 pm

No, what was I thinking, that closure is so low you can't even get to 400 trail to access the elevator shaft, and it's really not safe to shoulder-walk that 1/4 mile east from the lodge.