Official 2017 Snow Level Thread

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: Official 2017 Snow Level Thread

Post by Chip Down » March 8th, 2017, 8:01 pm

bushwhacker wrote:This would have been a long backtrack if I had come in from the opposite direction
Yeah. I cringe thinking of the two trips this winter where I was thinking of descending that trail, but decided against it. I now realize it would have been tougher than expected. I tend to go very well equipped, so I think would have gotten through, but I'm glad I was never tested like that. Damn, loop hikes can be scary. :?

Echoing DN, glad to see the Herman Creek report. Considered going up that way 3/5 when the snowy forecast motivated me to pick a quick easy hike. Maybe a good thing I didn't. But then, who knows, the bad trail might have forced me into fun adventures along the way. :D

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » March 27th, 2017, 6:37 am

This is about 1.3 miles SW of Salt Creek Falls at 4500'.
Attachments
Fall Creek 2017-03-26.jpg

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » March 27th, 2017, 10:03 am

Went up/down Defiance Trl 3/25/2017. Lower part of trail that's bare is in great shape. Consistent consolidated snow started about 2,400'. Deep, deep powder near the top, with snow just a couple feet below the top of the structures on the summit. Saw several other people early on, most of them very unprepared for conditions. All turned back. Tricky keeping your feet out of the water at Lancaster Falls - never seen it so intense.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 27th, 2017, 10:31 am

Chip Down wrote:Damn, loop hikes can be scary. :?
In 2013 I hiked the Timberline Trail around Mt Hood. We started at Cloud Cap because we were worried about not getting past the Elliot washout and having to backtrack all the way to Timberline Lodge. This would've been fine, except the road to CC was also closed for logging, meaning we had to start at Tilly Jane TH, adding another 10 miles and several thousand feet of EG to our total trip. Probably still better than having to backtrack and not making the entire trip around.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 4th, 2017, 4:52 am

4/1, Tanner area (above Bonneville, Oregon side).
Hit snow abruptly at 2500', suddenly hard to follow trail.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 9th, 2017, 9:36 pm

I was surprised that I made it to Benson Plateau today without encountering significant snow, just a dusting of new snow from the last few days, maybe a couple inches at most. On the plateau there was old snow under the new, maybe 10 inches on average. Easy to follow trail thanks to lots of footprints.

drm

Post by drm » April 10th, 2017, 6:57 am

Tried to visit Trapper Creek today, but couldn't even reach the trailhead. The half mile access road still has some snow - maybe you could make it in a high clearance vehicle if you barrelled through, looked like some had tried. Then I went over to Falls Creek Falls and that road is still mostly snowy too. Snowshoed into the trailhead and beyond. The trail is well on the way to melting out, but still covered with snow in most parts. I made it to a little past the first bridge. There were many, many trees down.

Chip - What trail did you take to Benson Plateau? How bad were the down trees?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 12th, 2017, 8:08 pm

drm wrote:Chip - What trail did you take to Benson Plateau? How bad were the down trees?
Trail? Why would I use a trail? ;) I was in the general vicinity of Ruckel Creek trail, which I encountered on the plateau. Snow was firm. I didn't have as much time as I wanted to wander up there, but based on my experience I'd say the Benson trails are probably generally easy to follow now. Oh, and really not much blowdown at all. I know, weird.

Alpenglow18

Post by Alpenglow18 » April 13th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Has anyone been around the Mt. Hood recently and could speak to snow levels in the area of French's Dome?

Thank you!

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 13th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Alpenglow18 wrote:Has anyone been around the Mt. Hood recently and could speak to snow levels in the area of French's Dome?

Thank you!
Yep, sort of.
As of a week and a half ago...

Lots of snow still on old maid flats.

No snow on the cast creek trail to about 3200.