Recreation Fees and Reforms

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Recreation Fees and Reforms

Post by retired jerry » January 6th, 2017, 10:19 am

on the other hand, Eagle Creek is probably the trailhead with the most people that have had to buy NWFP, so it's a good example

less used trailheads have fewer people, so less NWFP money, and maybe just a port-a-potty and garbage

Mutt

Post by Mutt » January 6th, 2017, 7:27 pm

This feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario... :(

Guy

Post by Guy » January 6th, 2017, 7:55 pm

drm wrote:Whatever problems the NWFP has are even worse for the Discover Pass, and yet it's not clear most of Washington's state parks would even be open without it. So the short term overrides the larger issue and we continue down the same path.
I guess we all have different lines in the sand. I begrudgingly buy a NWFP but I wont buy a Discover Pass. If the day pass was $5.00 I'd pay it and hike Discover Pass locations but at $10.00 a day I wont pay it. Personally I think WA state would bring in more money if they reduced the day pass from $10.00 to $5.00. Just my line in the sand & my 2 cents :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 7th, 2017, 6:25 am

Washington State Parks are in a bind. They don't have some of the funding that Oregon State Parks have, like RV license fees and lottery funds. Very tough for them to come up with enough money to pay for things.

I don't pay pay for the Discover Pass either, I just don't do very many trips that require it

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » January 7th, 2017, 7:38 am

While we are talking about passes if you are 62 and haven't done so the NPS Senior Pass is a great deal. Now's the time to get it. I see where in the near future it's supposed to go from it's current price of $10 to $80 (life time pass). I know it's been $10 for quite some time and is probably due for a increase but a 700% mark-up seems a bit excessive.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... -it-now-10

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 7th, 2017, 8:55 am

I got one of those, yeah, great deal

My gripe is a lot of seniors can afford the NWFP more than some family with kids for example

$80 would still be a good deal. You also get half off at campgrounds, it also covers National Parks which the NWFP doesn't,...

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment that the 700% increase is excessive, just throwing out another thought :)

drm

Post by drm » January 7th, 2017, 10:05 am

Guy wrote:
drm wrote:Whatever problems the NWFP has are even worse for the Discover Pass, and yet it's not clear most of Washington's state parks would even be open without it. So the short term overrides the larger issue and we continue down the same path.
I guess we all have different lines in the sand. I begrudgingly buy a NWFP but I wont buy a Discover Pass. If the day pass was $5.00 I'd pay it and hike Discover Pass locations but at $10.00 a day I wont pay it. Personally I think WA state would bring in more money if they reduced the day pass from $10.00 to $5.00. Just my line in the sand & my 2 cents :)
I never buy any single day pass. Now that I live in The Dalles, the trails at Crawford Oaks are pretty close and that alone was a motivation to buy an annual Discover Pass.

Think of this: a single day Snopark permit in Washington costs $20, annual is $40. So that's even worse.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 7th, 2017, 10:42 am

Guy wrote:I wont buy a Discover Pass. If the day pass was $5.00 I'd pay it and hike Discover Pass locations but at $10.00 a day I wont pay it. Personally I think WA state would bring in more money if they reduced the day pass from $10.00 to $5.00. Just my line in the sand & my 2 cents :)
Costs me about $2-3/day, or so. :)
drm wrote:Think of this: a single day Snopark permit in Washington costs $20, annual is $40. So that's even worse.
That one's just terrible! Maybe if I had a Subaru... ;) :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...