Woman who disappeared from canyon creek campground

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
miah66

Re: Woman who disappeared from canyon creek campground

Post by miah66 » October 26th, 2016, 9:45 am

I probably reacted as strongly as I did, because I was involved in the search effort, and through that had some contact with friends and family. Hard to imagine what it'd take for someone to put a lot of other people, presumably including a great many loved ones, through all that.
Oh right! I forgot that. Apologies. Yes, I was kind of shocked and angry when I was told about that, due to all the lives disrupted and effort expended, but also still skeptical if it was true, b/c I have no first hand knowledge, and perhaps, not many do. There is precedent however for this kind of thing:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20 ... /88282780/
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 26th, 2016, 10:47 am

Water... apologies for my vague post.
Yes, my personal opinion is that in a lot of these scenarios, I think suicide is very often the case. I do hope I am wrong though.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 26th, 2016, 11:54 am

miah66 wrote:There is precedent however for this kind of thing:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20 ... /88282780/
Quite the opposite, the fact that you've linked to a story where the person apparently tried to change their appearance and intentionally disappear, yet was still located within days, shows how these tales of people disappearing into the woods to "start a new life" with no one ever the wiser are far more fiction than fact.

That said, there is a recent book relevant to the subject that you might have a look at if you're curious about such things. Only had a skim of it myself so far, but reviews were positive enough to make me pick it up:
https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Dead-Jou ... 1476739331

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 26th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Well, that and the fact that the girl was 16. :lol: Far from an expert in the art of disappearing. Hey, what do I know? I was just stating that it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility, especially after hearing about this exact scenario playing out with a friend of a friend.

However, the book you mentioned looks pretty interesting though.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » October 26th, 2016, 1:35 pm

miah66 wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
Webfoot wrote:Heard from whom? Need we make aspersions in such cases rather than let the presumed-dead lie?
Agreed! Corroboration, or it didn't happen.
Fair enough. Just an anecdotal incident and I will remove mention by name. Kind of hard to prove either way though, right?
The local case where that did happen...must have been over ten years ago now. St Helens area guy staged his disappearance by telling his wife he was "going fishing", then leaving his anchored boat in the Columbia during spring Chinook season. It 'appeared" he'd fallen overboard and drowned. More than five years later he turned up out of state, very alive, with a new woman.

His is the exceptional case. I don't think hardly any of these missing hiker/hunter cases can be attributed to people wanting to disappear.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » October 26th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Here's another high profile case that received a lot of attention in the Eugene area due to the victim being a professor:

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/nove ... _11707.php

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » October 27th, 2016, 10:49 am

backcountryhunter wrote:For the conspiracy theorists:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/135 ... issing-411
Didn't Ben Kingsley make a documentary about that? ;)

#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 28th, 2016, 6:35 am

How about the trails and woods that have disappeared from a hiker? Seems to be my affliction of late, heh...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 28th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:How about the trails and woods that have disappeared from a hiker? Seems to be my affliction of late, heh...
Me too! ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando