Search for lost hiker still going on

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
matimeo

Search for lost hiker still going on

Post by matimeo » October 23rd, 2016, 7:39 pm

They're still up there looking for her. Posting this here in case anyone saw her up there.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... cliff.html

kepPNW

Re: Search for lost hiker still going on

Post by kepPNW » October 24th, 2016, 6:08 am

matimeo wrote:They're still up there looking for her.
It's now, apparently, considered a recovery exercise.

http://fox13now.com/2016/10/23/family-b ... ry-effort/
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 24th, 2016, 7:29 am

The way this has been reported has been incredibly confusing to me. There's been so many contradictions, or least seeming contradictions based on what's probably terrible reporting and a lot of wrong "facts." I know details are sketchy as these stories develop and local news outlets don't worry as much about the facts as they do about getting *some* story out--especially when it turns out there's a celebrity tie--but that usually gets straightened out after the first day or so. Here I feel like I understand less and less as time goes on.

All the initial stories dropped in a line about how she'd just bought a new pack and tent, without giving any context for why that was important (was she thought to have the gear with her?). Now the roommate says that gear hadn't even shipped yet. They also had the roommate saying she hadn't taken any of her usual hiking gear with her, but then other stories said camping gear was found in her car. Which was broken into at the trailhead, but they left the phone and the gear?

The roommate was shocked when the mother showed up b/c she thought they'd already left for their camping trip, but at the same time saying she hadn't taken any of her stuff.

They believe it was a spontaneous decision to pull over and go for a "quick walk," but then there's social media posts saying she's going hiking. The phone is dead / in the car, but she posted a snapchat showing her hiking on Sunday.

This is the third one I know of this season within a short area of the gorge where their car was found but no sign of them. I guess I just want to know what happened to them--and preferably for it to involve doing something stupid--so I can say, OK, whew, I wouldn't do that, so I can continue feeling safe on my solo hikes.

matimeo

Post by matimeo » October 24th, 2016, 7:33 am

Yes, the facts have seemed very jumbled. I hope we get the whole story at some point.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 24th, 2016, 10:55 am

kepPNW wrote:It's now, apparently, considered a recovery exercise.

I am not OK the the family's apparent tone at this point. How does anyone know she is dead and not abducted? If I ever go missing at random I hope there is someone who doesn't give up on me quite that quickly.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » October 24th, 2016, 11:44 am

squidvicious wrote:The way this has been reported has been incredibly confusing to me. There's been so many contradictions, or least seeming contradictions based on what's probably terrible reporting and a lot of wrong "facts." I know details are sketchy as these stories develop and local news outlets don't worry as much about the facts as they do about getting *some* story out...
Nobody likes an unsolved mystery, but I think the crux of these stories is that the news is never going to be an adequate form of explanation for missing hikers. In addition to the business/journalism issue you mention, and how generally terrible reportage about outdoor activities and places is in the first place, consider also that not all the relevant information is being made public, resulting in obvious gaps and inconsistencies. And any later resolution (like finding the missing person deceased) may not be published, either for privacy or because it's no longer considered "news."

I know it's tempting to think something's being covered up, or that this is all really pointing at foul play (cause doesn't it frequently seem like it??), but per Hanlon's Razor, we probably just don't have all the information - and potentially no one does, or else they would have found the missing person.
I guess I just want to know what happened to them--and preferably for it to involve doing something stupid--so I can say, OK, whew, I wouldn't do that, so I can continue feeling safe on my solo hikes.
You should keep feeling safe. Hiking on trails is very safe, and there is not a ton to be learned from other people's mishaps that you probably don't already know. Leave an itinerary with someone who will call the authorities if you don't return. Take a map and compass and know how to figure out where you are if you get lost. Take a first aid kit, clothes, water, food, a headlamp, etc. Stay put if you get lost or hurt and can't self-rescue. Know your own abilities and limits. Putting this into practice comes with experience, but that's about it.

The drive to the trailhead is still the most dangerous part of your hike.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 24th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Webfoot wrote:
kepPNW wrote:It's now, apparently, considered a recovery exercise.

I am not OK the the family's apparent tone at this point. How does anyone know she is dead and not abducted? If I ever go missing at random I hope there is someone who doesn't give up on me quite that quickly.
I was rather shocked at that, too. Irrationality seeks comfort in superstition, often to the extreme detriment of others, I'm afraid. :cry:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 24th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I went hiking up the 777 road Sunday to check out a few spots looking for her. I walked up the 777 road for about 1.9 miles and then went up the power line spur that switchbacks up the ridge at that point. The road ends at a good game trail might have tempted a hiker to continue up the ridge. I saw no footprints and nothing that would indicate a lone hiker or even searchers. Of course, with the rain over that past week, last Sunday's prints probably would not still be visible.

Anyway, no luck, but on the way back I encountered a group of about 15 searchers coming up the ridge and the road. These were all volunteers and friends of the missing woman and I spoke with some of them. They had brought a psychic with them who said she sensed the presence of the woman in the immediate vicinity. (I though for a moment, wow, how was it I picked the same place!) So, the psychic said she sensed the woman had injured herself and called out for a couple of days but after that became weaker and also was afraid of animals so had stopped calling out. She said she sensed she was getting very weak but was still alive, holed up and fading fast.

Another man I spoke with in the group told me the woman had left her gear in the car and also her cell phone since its battery was bad so she left it on the charger.

for what it's worth,

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 24th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Bosterson wrote:The drive to the trailhead is still the most dangerous part of your hike.
That's something you don't hear often. Obviously there are a lot of variables. If you're a stupid careless hiker with a craving for adventure, the dry light drive is relatively safe. But on the other extreme, a trail hiker who drives home in the rain and dark when sleep deprived is in significant danger.

There was a news story years ago about a Hood climber who died on the way home. Attributed to sleep deprivation (but of course it's hard to know).

I've had some scary moments nodding off on the drive home. When it's a short drive in the gorge, it's easy to rationalize it, but it only takes ten seconds asleep at the wheel.

Anyway, I have to admire Don's generous and selfless hike up 777 just on a hunch. Chuckled at this though: "for about 1.9 miles". Most of would have said "about 2 miles".

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 24th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Bosterson wrote:You should keep feeling safe. Hiking on trails is very safe, and there is not a ton to be learned from other people's mishaps that you probably don't already know.
I'm not really that worried for myself. As far as I can tell the greatest single risk factor for tragedy is that people have fantastic-looking photos of you that they're willing to share with the media. I should be fine.