Favorite Oregon/Washington hikes for Fall colors?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Boozeman

Favorite Oregon/Washington hikes for Fall colors?

Post by Boozeman » September 22nd, 2016, 3:49 pm

I just thought that I'd ask around and get a few ideas for autumn hikes. I'm originally from a small rural town in Pennsylvania, and fall was a HUGE deal. We had an Autumn Leaf Festival and all kinds of events for a whole week. It was the biggest thing to hit our little town every year. As such, I've always loved the fall and the changing of the leaves.

Oregon doesn't have as dramatic a change as PA. Of course I'm probably letting nostalgia cloud my judgement. Anyhoo, I was looking for some fall color hikes to get in the spirit of the season.

I hiked out to Tamanawas Falls last week and saw a little color (Might be too early). BTW...they're in the process of building a new log bridge beside the old one. The second crossing, not the first bridge. I talked to one of the workers briefly on my way through. Nice guy with a MAJESTIC beard. :lol:

So if anybody has any favorites that fit the bill, I'd love some suggestions. :D

kepPNW

Re: Favorite Oregon/Washington hikes for Fall colors?

Post by kepPNW » September 22nd, 2016, 3:57 pm

A few were recently posted here: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =9&t=24614

Nothing here compares to back east... No doubt about that.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » September 22nd, 2016, 7:08 pm

Marion Lake:
Marion Stahlman 132.JPG
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

tambli22

Post by tambli22 » September 23rd, 2016, 11:48 am

Mount Rainier NP a year ago this week:

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 23rd, 2016, 11:38 pm

Agree we can't compare to the shear number of deciduous trees back east. I also agree that Mount St. Helens blast zone has very colorful huckleberry late Sept. into early October.
Mount St Helens _ Coldwater Peak Panorama.jpg
This was my attempt at a capture a few years back.
I lived up in the community of Mount Hood decades ago and liked Tamanawas Falls. But the fall color I recall is actually the fruit orchards.. ;) . Ok we do have a lot of evergreens. I always like to tell myself that there are other colors lurking under all that chlorophyll. Which brings me to the Western Larch or what we call Tamarack. Our Western Larch can be found up on the eastern slopes of Mount hood, but a bit later. Late October or early November. Bright yellow to gold-ish. Also in the Blue Mountains to the east.

When you list Washington. How far are you willing to travel? Up the eastern side of the Cascades you have the Alpine larch. Bright, but more golden I think. They are in the Enchantments. Enchantments now days is reservation, thou day hikes are possible. I head farther north. I realized the other day that I hadn't been on the eastern side of the cascades up there for 9 years. :shock: So that's where I'm headed. Lake Chelan then on up to the North Cascades Park for 2 weeks. So I'm out of here :P .

kja78

Post by kja78 » September 26th, 2016, 7:37 pm

anyone been to Silver falls in the past week? How is it for color? How are the falls doing with the lack of water?

Thanks

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 26th, 2016, 7:41 pm

kja78 wrote:anyone been to Silver falls in the past week? How is it for color? How are the falls doing with the lack of water?

Thanks
Generally Silver Falls seems to peak mid to late October but I haven't seen any recent pics.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 27th, 2016, 7:31 am

Steve20050 wrote: When you list Washington. How far are you willing to travel? Up the eastern side of the Cascades you have the Alpine larch. Bright, but more golden I think. They are in the Enchantments. Enchantments now days is reservation, thou day hikes are possible.
There are quite a few places in Washington that have alpine larch in addition to the Enchantments. All over the Chelan Sawtooths and Entiats. Teanaway just south of the Enchantments area and Chiwaukums just north. Around Washington Pass on North Cascades Hwy (Hwy 20), PCT passes thru there and there are larch along several segments. That's some places I know of, probably others as well.

I just got back from some day hiking in the Enchantments and Teanaway. The larch are starting to turn. Still quite a few that are green, but some are brilliant gold now.

drm

Post by drm » September 27th, 2016, 8:12 am

Not the easiest to get to, but wow, the colors this last few days. Trip report coming soon with much more.
jp16 04.jpg
north slope of Park Ridge

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 29th, 2016, 9:12 am

Mount Rainier can have a stunning display of color. I know today's webcam is probably not doing it justice.
mount rainier web cam.JPG
From a visit a few years ago.
Mount Rainier.jpg
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir