A few thoughts on the broadcasting of little-known places...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Bosterson

Re: A few thoughts on the broadcasting of little-known place

Post by Bosterson » January 29th, 2018, 2:48 pm

There's an app forum for that.

There are literal years worth of explorations on there that you can mine for inspiration if you so desire. I'm not going to address the "argument" in your post (so viz your physics analogy, are you saying that someone here is advocating for not teaching people to tie their shoes to prevent them from hiking off trail?), but there are lots of extremely knowledgable people here, so if you have questions, you should ask. (But, as noted above, there's a forum for that.)

:)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Arturo wrote:I actually saw this thread because as a day hiker with an elevation gain habit and the Gorge being closed, I was thinking of posting a thread looking for local off the track hikes. I thought that was the type of thing this place was for ... now I'm not too sure :shock:
This is the kind of a place where people share and teach. Among the things we share are our opinions about hiking. Please notice that you have just successfully shared one such opinion. ;) There are no official or required opinions here. On this thread each poster has spoken for themselves, not for the group. All that is required here is a certain civility in stating your opinions and a basic mutual respect shown to others when their opinions differ from your own.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » January 29th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Aimless wrote: This is the kind of a place where people share and teach. Among the things we share are our opinions about hiking. Please notice that you have just successfully shared one such opinion. ;) There are no official or required opinions here. On this thread each poster has spoken for themselves, not for the group. All that is required here is a certain civility in stating your opinions and a basic mutual respect shown to others when their opinions differ from your own.
I hope I was civil and respectful voicing my opinion.
Know any secret EG hikes you want to share?
;)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 30th, 2018, 11:24 am

Not really the thread for it, but the Hunchback Mt. trail that starts just next to the ZigZag Ranger station is a good one for EG in short mileage. If it isn't enough for your needs, you could do it twice!

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » March 18th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Koda wrote:the environmental effects of social media and the broadcasting of little known places hit the mainstream media.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trying-to- ... much-love/
A few years ago, someone posted the GPS coordinates of the "Titans" on social media. Images online lured thousands of tourists to the area in search of the secret grove. They criss-crossed the park, creating unofficial trails (known as "social trails").
That was awkward coverage to watch and read, because the parks and rangers doubled or tripled the impact networking with the news media. There were also 4 newspapers running the same basic story earlier in 2017. It's understandable that they would like donations for modifications, but so far they raised less than $40,000 when they are hoping for over $1,000,000.

I think donations are worthwhile, but question their plan and design. I posted a Youtube video about several things omitted from news coverage. Man .. these lav mics are really sensitive. I've just started learning how to use it.

https://youtu.be/_8NexHel1RE

Limey

Post by Limey » March 19th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Thank you for the video. You addressed some of the concerns I've had since hearing about the boardwalk plan. Like you mentioned, are they really going to maintain a boardwalk if they don't even replace a bridge? I've also wondered, if they can't keep people from going off the trail how are they going to stop people from getting off the boardwalk. I think they should put a lot more thought into it before jumping headlong into their current plan.