Photo Corkboard 2016... Share a few photos!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Waffle Stomper

Re: Photo Corkboard 2016... Share a few photos!

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 16th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Great shots everyone.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » April 20th, 2016, 6:43 pm

White River Canyon

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

biketowork

Post by biketowork » April 28th, 2016, 2:20 pm

That does it, we'll have to bring a better camera this weekend to capture more than blurry phone shots of our 15-month-old hiker! Keep the fantastic photos coming.
IMG_20160418_115236.jpg
Our little hiker working with the trekking pole.

markesc

Post by markesc » April 29th, 2016, 6:17 am

biketowork wrote:That does it, we'll have to bring a better camera this weekend to capture more than blurry phone shots of our 15-month-old hiker! Keep the fantastic photos coming.
IMG_20160418_115236.jpg
Consider renting the canon 16-34 F4L IS... would be great for low/wide angle shots like what you're trying here! or buy!!

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/wi ... S-USM-Lens

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » May 1st, 2016, 6:56 am

When froggy came a courting. April 17.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » May 1st, 2016, 9:09 am

You CAN make some nice photos with a phone.

Here are some that I took with my iPhone 5 and processed with Snapseed.

I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

Meiyong

Post by Meiyong » May 3rd, 2016, 2:22 pm

I've been chasing Fender's Blue Butterflies with my camera for years, but could never get them to hold still. I finally got a good shot this last weekend.

trog

Post by trog » May 26th, 2016, 7:30 pm

May 4th on the Pacific Crest Trail, just past the Chinidere cutoff.
Attachments
unspecified.jpg
May 4th 2016, on the Pacific Crest Trail, just past the Chinidere cutoff.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » June 4th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Above McNeil Shelter
Attachments
DSC01069 McNeil Point Night Sky.jpg
Last edited by rainrunner on June 18th, 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » June 18th, 2016, 10:44 pm

I took this of my son and I when we went to the Alvord Desert. It's probably the most special photo I've ever taken. Read the title and accompanying piece below:

•I'm Happy We Came Here•

In early June 2016 I dragged my son to the far southeastern corner of Oregon to hang out with some friends in the Alvord Desert. I was a little hesitant to do so because as with most 8 year olds, the idea of hanging out in a flat, dry, hot, and dusty playa with no shade and a bunch of adults wouldn't sound like a ton of fun. But regardless, we packed our sunscreen, hats, and camping gear and made the 7.5 hour drive.

Elliott tends to dislike the drives because he easily gets motion sickness. We rarely go on long trips and this was by far the longest he and I had ever done together. He gave me some attitude about it and he didn't feel well for part of the drive, but it all changed when the land opened up and we traded the billboards and city buildings for rolling hills, small towns, and grazing cattle. He seemed more engaged in the experience and the questions about 'how much longer' became farther and farther apart.
He ended up having more fun than I ever imagined he would. Maybe it was because I let him drive a car for the first time on the 8 mile by 10 mile wide playa of absolutely nothing, maybe it was the open sky, quiet air, and extremely distant hills. Maybe it was the wind that tossed his kite into the air, shooting his slingshot, or the wild horses. Maybe it was drives with friends down four wheel drive roads into distant basins and seeing the beauty of the outdoors in such grand scale. Maybe it was just being in the moment with his dad far away from home and the thrill of adventure. Whatever it was.. Elliott had the time of his life on this trip.

This photo was taken on our first night in the desert. The Alvord Desert is one of the darkest places in the lower portion of the United States. The remoteness of the area combined with a new moon provided unrivaled views of the night sky. As the night wore down, our collective eyes turned upwards and we pondered our place in this universe, or at least I did.
Elliott wanted to lay down but didn't want to lay in the tent alone. So we dragged his sleeping pad and bag out and he fell asleep with his hands behind his head gazing up at the Milky Way. I took the time to lay next to him for a bit while my friend Bruce Couch tripped my shutter.

At 5am, after I had carried him to the tent, Elliott woke up to use the 'bathroom'. The sun hadn't risen and nobody was really up, so he was all alone out there as the land began to wake up in that early blue light. He crawled back into the tent with a little smile on his face. Thinking what most parents probably do when they see that mischievous smile on their kids faces, I asked him "Why are you smiling? What did you do?" His response was "Nothing. I'm just really happy we came here. It's so beautiful."
My heart melted. My eyes welled up. He finally felt a little bit of that inner peace that I feel when I'm out in nature. I reached out and ran my fingers through his hair and responded "Me too, buddy. Me too."

This is the most special photo that I've ever taken. My son and I laying under the Milky Way in a place that we both love, a place where our hearts grew alongside each others, and a place where he finally 'got it'. I'm looking forward to many more moments like this with him. THIS is living.

I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography