Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

Re: Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

Post by Koda » February 9th, 2016, 4:52 pm

miah66 wrote:I actually feel bad for the Malone guy. I didn't read all the cascade climbers posts, but it seemed the majority were just treating him like garbage, or being very dismissive of him.

Charley: huge thumbs up for your comments about the rage and hand wringing that these relatively insignificant transgressions or infractions cause when just up the road they are leveling the forest or mining or road building and not a peep.
agree, not only that but none of the discussed transgressions or infractions have even been proven, just hearsay.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Water

Post by Water » February 9th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Koda wrote:curious, what makes using drones illegal if they dont need a permit since its a documentary?
the same basis that riding a snowmobile to 9k on Adams or mountain biking around the 3 sisters is against the law.
Public use of drones (including quadcopters, model aircraft and other unmanned aerial systems) is increasing in popularity. However, drones are motorized equipment and are prohibited in wilderness. Please help us protect wilderness character by leaving your drone at home when you visit a congressionally designated wilderness area. Federal regulation 36 CFR 261 18a states that the following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Koda

Post by Koda » February 9th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Water wrote:
Koda wrote:curious, what makes using drones illegal if they dont need a permit since its a documentary?
the same basis that riding a snowmobile to 9k on Adams or mountain biking around the 3 sisters is against the law.
Public use of drones (including quadcopters, model aircraft and other unmanned aerial systems) is increasing in popularity. However, drones are motorized equipment and are prohibited in wilderness. Please help us protect wilderness character by leaving your drone at home when you visit a congressionally designated wilderness area. Federal regulation 36 CFR 261 18a states that the following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.
thats a little vauge it looks more like a polite request until you get to the "motorized equipment" part but then many of us would have to leave our digital cameras at home if it has a zoom lens. (my impression was that is for chainsaws etc.)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 9th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Koda wrote:
Charley wrote:...the large crew seems to violate the 12 heartbeat rule....
Ive seen a few comments in this thread they broke the 12 person rule but I didnt notice 12 in the OPB documentary. Or did I just not take note? I only watched it once last weekend... how many were in their trip at any one time?
In their own words...
    • Eight members on the Top-Side Crew, 11 volunteers and five highly trained canyoneers who used 700 feet of climbing rope and dozens of carabiners to descend 600 feet into an uncharted gorge.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 9th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Water wrote:also.. posted from CascadeClimbers.com just now.. take a look.. same canyon!
http://corvallismountainrescue.org/medi ... earch.html
More...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 9th, 2016, 6:18 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:I took issue with such a place being publicized, regardless of its remoteness or inaccessibility. The public knowing of such a place does nothing to further its protection. Being a lover of remote rugged places, Malone's actions to publicize such places are not my modus operandi. It would be one thing if the slot canyon were not on protected public land and a campaign of making it known to the public for the sake of it getting it federal protection was to happen.

As for the behavior of the explorers while filming, who really cares?!!

I totally agree with both points here AC. I'm fine with folks posting about or filming a location that needs further protection but can see the benefit in keeping certain areas on the down low if they are indeed already protected(not that I always do a good job of that though as I like to spam post with the best of em).

I would also say that I climbed St Helens with Jared and he is an incredibly nice guy. Probably one of the nicest most laid back guys I've ever met and he was incredibly knowledgeable about climbing safety. He lives up by the Swift Reservoir and mountains are his life. And although my lazy ass hasn't even watched the video yet :lol: but as an individual he's a great guy.

Charley wrote:I admit to seeing both sides of the various disagreements here (the large crew seems to violate the 12 heartbeat rule; the filming was relatively "commercial" for a news or documentary purpose; drones bother me but are better than helicopters). I get it.

That said...

Why is it that we get so worked up about something like this, when, a few miles away, the Forest Service can go in and cut down old trees without so much as a peep?
How can a canyoneering trip stir up controversy more than the Palomar Pipeline?
Why do we get caught worrying about the "frat boy" behavior of some recreationists more than the quieter, more destructive influence of aggressive non-native species?

Like I said, I understand this kind of thing gets our goats. Why and how does it get our goat more than mining or logging? Why aren't we arguing about the best way to preserve the most woods in the most places?

If I had to answer, I'd guess that arguing against these small, rare insults is more palatable than taking up a fight against the real anti-environmental juggernaut: our whole economic system and consumptive way of life. It's easy to impugn the guy yelling "VALLHALLA!" It's harder to stop the bulldozers and chainsaws, isn't it?

Well said Charley.

Water

Post by Water » February 9th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Poor Mr. Malone did get a lot of crap over at CC.. his early posts seemed very trollish based on the history of postings on that forum. I did feel bad for him when people piled on, but, he also was kinda weird coming on there asking for help in 'promoting' his secret spot.. He already knew about Mazamas, OFG, and other venues. His first post talks about OPB/OFG doing a special on it. If I figured out some medical secret and knew of organizations dedicated to showcasing medical advances, I probably wouldn't go onto a doctor's forum and try to get their opinion on the 'best way to showcase my knowledge', but would instead contact the organization I know of.

And when the truth came out... lo and behold people had already been there and knew of it. Not everyone, but as seen by the link I posted above (http://corvallismountainrescue.org/medi ... earch.html) it seems that him 'keeping his discovery to himself' process and billing it up prevented the normal process where people affiliated with the above search would have been able to speak to him. He categorically wasn't the first person to find it, be aware of it, or explore even part of it. It's impressive, but so is Oneonta Gorge... no? Hyperbole Canyon starts to make more sense with time.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Water

Post by Water » February 9th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Koda wrote:
Water wrote:
thats a little vauge it looks more like a polite request until you get to the "motorized equipment" part but then many of us would have to leave our digital cameras at home if it has a zoom lens. (my impression was that is for chainsaws etc.)
You can fly a drone OVER a wilderness area but it cannot take-off or land in one. That would put it in violation of FR 36 CFR 261 18a. But it is illegal to launch or land a drone in the wilderness, it is considered landing of aircraft.

And further clarification will come to probably state that more explicitly. The NPS has banned drone use.
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 9th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I thought it was more than 12 people can't camp within some distance of each other, like one mile or something

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 9th, 2016, 7:46 pm

retired jerry wrote:I thought it was more than 12 people can't camp within some distance of each other, like one mile or something
Or travel.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider