Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
johnspeth

OPB's "Valhalla Gorge"

Post by johnspeth » February 5th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Did anybody see OPB's expose of the canyon comprised of the South Fork of the North Fork of the Breitenbush River? OPB arrogantly named it Valhalla Gorge. It's hard for me to believe that nobody ever at least had some knowledge of the existence of this canyon. It's close to the much visited Olallie Lake area. Can anyone relate some stories about the canyon?

It's certainly not an adventure I'd try with my skills (and age) but it nevertheless looks interesting to at least approach.

I believe the canyon is accessible from road 4220 about a half mile past the PCT parking lot at the north end approach to Jeff Park. I think coordinates are 44.7652, -121.8328, the river where it bisects a straight line from Davey Lake to Slideout Lake. It also might be accessible via road 4220 from road 46 out of Detroit. 4220 is a nasty bumpy road near the PCT parking lot. I have no idea of the state of road 4220 between Davey Lake and road 46. Does anyone have any knowledge of that part of road 4220?

pdxgene

Re: Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

Post by pdxgene » February 5th, 2016, 11:18 pm

If enough people didn't see it on OPB, KGW is now running a nice long feature on their 11pm newscast about it. Which I'd imagine means it's also on their website.
But they say not to go unless, "you are truly prepared". That should cover it..... :lol:

kelkev

Post by kelkev » February 6th, 2016, 6:53 am

I see that the FS has posted an information page on Valhalla, or what they are calling the Mt. Jefferson Slot Canyon. And some more google searching turned up more specific directions than I hoped I'd find. I'd love to see the area, but my age, skill set, and common sense will keep my enjoyment of the area limited to the Oregon Field Guide episode..... and likely upcoming trip reports from those folks who have the skill set, respect, and preparedness to complete this arduous trek.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamett ... eprd490206
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 6th, 2016, 9:23 am

OPB arrogantly named it Valhalla Gorge.

From what I could tell, the name 'Valhalla' was coined by the man who spotted the canyon/waterfall from a helicopter, who did some reconnaissance over the past several years, and who led OPB to the canyon. They simply played along with his chosen name.

I, too, thought the name was much too grandiose and smacks of our era's love of hype. Think of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (translates as 'big tits'). These are modest, even homely names. But does anyone think these are modest or homely places because of that?

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » February 6th, 2016, 12:27 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Bosterson wrote:Frankly, I was more put out by the main SAR/rigging guy constantly mispronouncing the word "rappel." :lol:
So you were a bit repelled by that, too, huh? :lol:
I've heard it pronounced both ways. "Repel" is the British pronunciation so its actually the original way to say it. That's the way my climbing instructor said it as well.
PCT class of 2012

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Aimless wrote:OPB arrogantly named it Valhalla Gorge.

From what I could tell, the name 'Valhalla' was coined by the man who spotted the canyon/waterfall from a helicopter, who did some reconnaissance over the past several years, and who led OPB to the canyon. They simply played along with his chosen name.
Mike Malone named the canyon "Valhalla" after the hall where Norse warriors go when they die, and OPB just used the name. Cascade Climbers decided too many outdoor areas are named after Norse mythology, so they renamed it Hyperbole Canyon. :D

I'm shocked there's now a Forest Service page for it, though! :shock:
scrambler2 wrote:I've heard it pronounced both ways. "Repel" is the British pronunciation so its actually the original way to say it. That's the way my climbing instructor said it as well.
the Oxford English Dictionary wrote:1930s: from French, literally 'a recalling', from rappeler in the sense 'bring back to oneself' (with reference to the rope maneuver).
The French word is pronounced "rah," not "reh." Matt thinks I'm being pedantic about this though. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 6th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Bosterson wrote:I'm shocked there's now a Forest Service page for it, though! :shock:
I think it's smart. They know people are going to google it, and their page will come up high in the results because they're a .gov site. May as well put something up there that basically says "it's dangerous, don't do it, you have other options."

mattisnotfrench

Re: OPB's "Valhalla Gorge"

Post by mattisnotfrench » February 7th, 2016, 9:53 pm

johnspeth wrote:Did anybody see OPB's expose of the canyon comprised of the South Fork of the North Fork of the Breitenbush River? OPB arrogantly named it Valhalla Gorge. It's hard for me to believe that nobody ever at least had some knowledge of the existence of this canyon. It's close to the much visited Olallie Lake area. Can anyone relate some stories about the canyon?

It's certainly not an adventure I'd try with my skills (and age) but it nevertheless looks interesting to at least approach.

I believe the canyon is accessible from road 4220 about a half mile past the PCT parking lot at the north end approach to Jeff Park. I think coordinates are 44.7652, -121.8328, the river where it bisects a straight line from Davey Lake to Slideout Lake. It also might be accessible via road 4220 from road 46 out of Detroit. 4220 is a nasty bumpy road near the PCT parking lot. I have no idea of the state of road 4220 between Davey Lake and road 46. Does anyone have any knowledge of that part of road 4220?
A few people knew about it. I did. I was kind of hoping it would stay a secret. Oh well. :roll:

FR 4220 is almost the definition of a bad road. It's a lot of fun in the right vehicle and a lot of crap in anything smaller than a truck.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Leeroy

Post by Leeroy » February 8th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I've been following the thread at CC.com since Mr. Malone first started it over there back in 2014. This was a publicity stunt from day one and OPB and Oregon Field Guide should be ashamed of themselves for promoting this place they way they have. The "adrenaline junkie" feel of the entire episode was inappropriate and seemed, to me, to be out of character for OFG. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with this. The way they glorified the "waterfall rappelling" stunt was a new low for OFG as far as I'm concerned. Just silly. I don't take issue with someone deciding they want to do that on their own but filming it illegally (see below), hyping it for weeks and then replaying it in slow motion for days on end is certainly encouraging unskilled or unprepared people to attempt the same thing. Regardless of their disclaimers they are obviously irresponsibly encouraging risky and dangerous behavior. The fallout from this will be handled by the Forest Service and funded by we the taxpayers while OPB will probably get an award.

I contacted the FS hoping to speak with someone who was involved in supplying/ approving permits for OFG's "expedition". I was informed that the first the local ranger district office heard of the "expedition" was two weeks before the show aired when they were invited to a sneak preview in Portland.

No permits were issued because NONE WERE SOUGHT BY OPB.

They also claim that their expedition crew size was 24 people. The maximum allowable group size in ANY wilderness area is 12. Were 24 people defecating in that "pristine" canyon for 3 days or did they all pack it out? Did they leave anchors from their rappelling stunts behind or were they able to retrieve all of their ropes, slings, cords, etc? Did they have a bolt kit with them and did they place any? Why did they need to rappel that big waterfall? There were obviously many other much easier and safer ways to drop into the canyon and the whole thing reeked of self promotion. I kept waiting to see a redbull logo.

The flyover footage was taken by OPB using a helicopter and a Cineflex camera according to the production company that assisted in the ground documentation of the canyon. The flight deck over a wilderness is 2500 ft above ground level. Those shots of the canyon from above look to me to be taken from a few hundred ft rather than a couple thousand +. Perhaps zoom lenses are better than I realize? Flying an air craft below 2500 ft above ground level is strictly forbidden in a wilderness. It is only allowed for fire fighting (how Mr. Malone first sighted this place) and Search and Rescue activities where the loss of life or limb is likely. I assume that the video probably has a location tag attached that may give the altitude at which is was taken? My smart phone does.

I apologize that my first post on this site is such a negative one. I've lurked here for many years but I'm not usually one to post much. This incident has me really riled up though and I'd encourage anyone else reading this to contact the forest service and express your concern over the complete and utter lack of respect for the wilderness that was shown in this episode.

Not securing permission to film in a wilderness and doing so without even contacting the FS beforehand should not go unpunished. Laws against commercial operations on public lands and specifically those governing wilderness exist for a reason. This is commercialization of our wilderness if I've ever seen it and I'll again say shame on OPB. They owe both the FS and the American people more than just an apology.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 8th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Leeroy wrote:The "adrenaline junkie" feel of the entire episode was inappropriate and seemed, to me, to be out of character for OFG. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with this. The way they glorified the "waterfall rappelling" stunt was a new low for OFG as far as I'm concerned. Just silly.
This aspect has been bothering me the most. Those idiots spoke with great awe and reverence of their experience, but acted like drunken frat boys in the canyon. And the waterfall thing was, yeah, just silly.
Leeroy wrote:The flyover footage was taken by OPB using a helicopter and a Cineflex camera according to the production company that assisted in the ground documentation of the canyon. The flight deck over a wilderness is 2500 ft above ground level. Those shots of the canyon from above look to me to be taken from a few hundred ft rather than a couple thousand +. Perhaps zoom lenses are better than I realize?
I'd assumed they'd flown drones through there. The way those canyon walls were angled, it didn't seem likely an overhead shot (esp from 2500') could see all the way down through most of it. And they were certainly seeing enough in "the aerials" to navigate by on the ground.
Leeroy wrote:Not securing permission to film in a wilderness and doing so without even contacting the FS beforehand should not go unpunished. Laws against commercial operations on public lands and specifically those governing wilderness exist for a reason. This is commercialization of our wilderness if I've ever seen it and I'll again say shame on OPB. They owe both the FS and the American people more than just an apology.
Gotta agree. Not only crass, but incredibly irresponsible as well.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...