Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Steve20050

Re: Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

Post by Steve20050 » February 20th, 2016, 4:53 pm

This thread has been entertainment for sure. I must admit to being amused about whether miners or indigenous folks ever ventured into this slot canyon. Having lived in AZ and hiked many of the canyons there I thought of Mooney Falls in the Havasupai Reservation on the south side of the Grand Canyon NP. While you can find various stories of the naming of this falls, the following link has as good as any description. I might add that after Mooney fell, the others threw his boots down to where he lay. In my opinion, I expect no self respecting cowboy type wants to die without their boots on and that seemed the closest thing they could accomplish at the moment. ;)

http://grandcanyonsecrets.com/mooney-falls/

In conclusion it seems rather silly to me that any local indigenous groups would not have explored this slot canyon.
Attachments
Mooney Falls003.jpg
View above the falls.
Mooney Falls004.jpg
Starting down to falls.
Mooney Falls001.jpg
Travertine surrounds most of this falls.

Gemalachi

Post by Gemalachi » July 16th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I saw this program as well last year. I immediately wanted to go and started to make some loose plans to go there. I'm now currently living in Detroit, OR which is only 16 miles from this trailhead into this Slot Canyon called by the names "Valhalla Canyon" "Hyperbole Canyon" or whatever other name.

I've actually been to the area, went to where Highway 46 makes a hairpin left curve, and have walked up the Breitenbush River there for a mile or so, then came back... was just scouting around the area, and it was actually much more difficult than I had expected - in that there were some huge log jams, big boulders - pretty slippery - and cold water that I had to get into at times to cross and proceed up the river...

I'm going to head back there, and plan for a 3 day trek into the Canyon and back - and see what happens. Might not be passable if there is a huge log jam, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

I do think that if OPB broke any laws in place that any citizen could get in trouble for breaking, then I think they should be held accountable for their actions as well. I couldn't say whether or not they got permits or anything, but I do think there should be an initial investigation to determine if they did in fact go through the legal channels to enter this Wilderness...

At any rate, I'll report back about how this trip went...

Cheers
Ge

Water

Post by Water » July 17th, 2018, 10:37 pm

well the OPB special shows drone footage. Uncage the Soul has done some great videos but they also flew drones in the Mt. Hood Wilderness by the Sandy Glacier ice caves when those were a thing.. I think today they have a specific policy about not flying drones.
Feel Free to Feel Free