Have you ever accidentally camped?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
lichenhikin

Have you ever accidentally camped?

Post by lichenhikin » April 19th, 2015, 4:14 pm

My best friend / hiking partner and I got more than we bargained for yesterday — ten extra miles, significant snow, a scary log crossing — and realized we have no idea how common or uncommon it is for day hikers in the PNW to wind up spending the night outside, however unprepared. We hear about folks who come back four days later, but how many people get lost overnight or injured or just too tired? Has it ever happened to you? What should an amateur outdoors person with limited primitive camping experience know about how to spend the night in the woods and feel not terrified? What's the best course of action if you meet someone in distress on the trail? I'm new to the forum so please let me know if these kinds of questions usually go somewhere else or something! Hi!
Attachments
IMG_0828.jpg
the author squints at the map and grows increasingly concerned

Lurch

Re: Have you ever accidentally camped?

Post by Lurch » April 19th, 2015, 5:42 pm

This'll be interesting :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 19th, 2015, 6:45 pm

I've been day hiking in the PNW for roughly 55 years now and I have not yet spent an unscheduled night out during a hiking trip, but the entire idea behind the ten essentials is that one must be prepared for the unexpected development, with a night's bivouac in the woods being one of those unexpected developments.

After a lifetime of reading stories about the unexpected and sometimes fatal adventures of hikers in the PNW, I've come to realize that backpackers rarely get into fatal difficulties, largely because they prepare for self-sufficiency, but day hikers who run into big trouble are the ones who get in way over their heads and far beyond what they are prepared to deal with. They sometimes die, too. As a result, I make it a policy always to take enough with me on a day hike to cope with an unscheduled night out.

In the shoulder seasons, like October or March, this level of caution means I might be carrying 16 lbs, due to the extra clothes, food and water, when another day hiker on the same trail on the same day might carry a fanny pack with a hoodie, a candy bar and a little water. I choose to do this because I know that what I expect to happen may not be what I get and I have a family who badly wants and needs me to come home alive. Carrying a few extra pounds seems like a small penalty for being better prepared to survive.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 19th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Never, but that's not to say it might happen sometime. Four times in 50+ years I've failed to make it back to the TH by dark and been without a light, a failed light, or inadequate light. Made it back, nevertheless, and learned from the experience. I carry a Spot, a GPS, a map and knowledge of the area I'm hiking.

I think the key is a little preparedness and attitude.

Just my humble opinion.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » April 19th, 2015, 7:57 pm

lichenhikin wrote:My best friend / hiking partner and I got more than we bargained for yesterday — ten extra miles, significant snow, a scary log crossing — and realized we have no idea how common or uncommon it is for day hikers in the PNW to wind up spending the night outside, however unprepared. We hear about folks who come back four days later, but how many people get lost overnight or injured or just too tired? Has it ever happened to you? What should an amateur outdoors person with limited primitive camping experience know about how to spend the night in the woods and feel not terrified? What's the best course of action if you meet someone in distress on the trail? I'm new to the forum so please let me know if these kinds of questions usually go somewhere else or something! Hi!
Welcome lichenhikin!

I think Aimless and Don Nelson, both provided excellent feedback. Similar to them, I have never had to stay overnight in the wilderness unexpectedly in my 30+ years of hiking. I always carry the 10 essentials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials). Extra layers of clothing are determined by the expected low temperature. I carry some form of water treatment for longer hikes and a PLB.

In the past ten years, as I have increased my time on the trails, I have found myself doling out water, food, spare maps, and electrolyte drinks to unprepared hikers. I have loaned equipment to others in my hiking party (headlamp, trekking poles). I have also had to use my first aid kit and training.

I think the other key thing, besides carrying the 10 essentials, is knowing how to use them. Mazamas here in Portland offers their Basic Climbing Education Program (BCEP), which would teach you the essentials. REI and possibly Portland Parks and Rec as well.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 19th, 2015, 9:59 pm

lichenhikin wrote:What should an amateur outdoors person with limited primitive camping experience know about how to spend the night in the woods and feel not terrified?
terrified from what exactly? Surviving through the night, or being found the next day or both? An unplanned overnight means unprepared on some or many levels. The only thing you can do to survive the night is have the mental determination to make it through no matter what.

On every single adventure you have learn to identify what the risks are, mitigate them and accept whats left over.... every trip is different. Learn before hand how to be prepared for an unplanned night in the worst conditions and bring the appropriate emergency items. Aimless said it best...
Aimless wrote:As a result, I make it a policy always to take enough with me on a day hike to cope with an unscheduled night out.

In the shoulder seasons, like October or March, this level of caution means I might be carrying 16 lbs, due to the extra clothes, food and water, when another day hiker on the same trail on the same day might carry a fanny pack with a hoodie, a candy bar and a little water. I choose to do this because I know that what I expect to happen may not be what I get and I have a family who badly wants and needs me to come home alive. Carrying a few extra pounds seems like a small penalty for being better prepared to survive.
I almost had to stay the night once, I wasn't exactly lost though nor un-prepared and so I made it home... at 4am.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 20th, 2015, 5:30 am

I can't really add more to what has already been said except "ditto". I typically carry WAY more than I need for my day hikes, but I've never needed something I didn't have, and I, too have loaned stuff to other people I hike with. I'd rather bring it and not need it that need it and not have it. I have never needed to spend an unplanned night out in my 13 years of hiking, but I'm confident I could do it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be terribly comfortable, but I would survive.

I've read enough survival stories to know that survival is mostly based on mental attitude. If you believe you can survive, you will.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 20th, 2015, 6:17 am

I've never had an accidental night out. In my early hiking years that was the dumb luck of youth; nowadays I do exactly like Aimless.

I'm especially careful to always carry raingear and, if there is any rain in the forecast, often a small 5x8 tarp (weighs 7 oz). My theory is that hypothermia is the main enemy, so reasonable insulation and the ability to stay dry are primary. First aid kits, knives, firestarters, extra food/water, etc., are less crucial--the chopper will probably be there before those become essential (though they are in my 10-essentials kit too). I never want to be dependent on a fire to keep me alive.

And of course the all important zeroth item in the 10 essentials is the information on where I was going and when to call SAR if I haven't checked in, left with a responsible loved one.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 20th, 2015, 6:46 am

Some good advice on here. This is exactly my mantra, too, Rob:
I'd rather bring it and not need it that need it and not have it.
I have never accidently camped, either, mostly because I follow what everyone else here is saying. In the offseason, especially, I take lots of precautions and carry extra gear. As an example, we snowshoed from Timberline to Silcox Hut on Saturday. It's only a mile one way, and next to a couple of hundred people skiing, mountaineers descending from a summit and the occasional snowcat or snowmobile racing by, piloted by Timberline employees. But, there's snow and possibly extreme conditions so I brought the ten essentials (including a paper map in case the phone/gps died), a 100' length of paracord, raingear, winter hats and gloves, and both our fleece coats and down puffies. Carrying extra ensures that not only are we prepared for anything, but that we can assist others who might not be. And whether it's a 2 mile snowshoe on Mt Hood or a backpacking trip in a very remote area, I pack a lot of the same stuff because it's an automatic thing to do now. It's not a matter of packing fears so much as being prepared as much as we can be and being willing to turn around when something isn't right or something has gone wrong.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 20th, 2015, 6:55 am

sprengers4jc wrote:... and being willing to turn around when something isn't right or something has gone wrong.
This right here is another key piece of advice. We willing to turn around and try again another day. There will always be another chance.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson