Timberline Trail during winter?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
timberline-trail

Timberline Trail during winter?

Post by timberline-trail » April 16th, 2015, 10:52 pm

I was wondering has anyone completed the full loop around Mount Hood in wintertime? Last year i attempted the trail in summer, around august. I was unable to complete the trail due to a near fatal (for me and my friends) thunderstorm. It killed one person on the ramona trail bridge and stranded something like 27 others. It rained about an inch and a half in 20 minutes turning the sandy into a milkshake of rocks and rubble. I witnessed this first hand, it was a very harrowing experience. Recently i believe two men completed the first thru-hike of the PCT in winter, albeit a very low snow year.( although still very impressive) This sparked my interest in wondering has anyone done the timberline trail in winter, probably not as impressive but i figured it could be an awesome experience. Logistically i think there is a lot that goes into it, but for now its really just an idea. I think given the right about of preparation and planning it could be done next winter.

This is my first post on the forum, as i joined specifically for this question. I found someone else posted the same question back in 2009 but his account was gone so i could not ask him questions.

I am fully aware of the dangers regarding river crossing, avalanches, 4 season tent (needing), weather conditions, lack of visibility, inability to see the trail, blizzard conditions, crossing ski runs, and all around deadliness of something like this. Im not posting this to get a "For the love of god dont!" response.

Id like to see if anyone has A) attempted the trail (in winter), B) completed the trail, C) knows someone who has done either, D) Has an experiences they would like to share regarding this, advice that sort of thing, E) A general discussion on doing this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my novel of a post. Im very serious about this and i thought i would cover all bases in this post that would answer most questions anyone has.

Regards,

Carson.

Guy

Re: Timberline Trail during winter?

Post by Guy » April 17th, 2015, 4:51 am

As a general rule I would say no it can not be done in winter at least by the vast majority of folks.

This year was very different though I believe it could have been done quite easily between January & Mid March, I was up on the mountain a lot during this time in places I normally can't get too until July! In some place there was less snow than there usually is in July!

That being said I'd still say there is more risk doing this in Winter (even a winter like this) than there is in a Summer trip.

I think there is more snow on the mountain now than there has been since December so not sure about now, it's doesn't take much to build up cornices on canyons big & small that you have to cross.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chase

Post by Chase » April 17th, 2015, 4:58 am

It would necessitate crampons, snowshoes, an axe, and probably more climbing gear. Following the exact trail would be impractical due to switchbacks turned into steep slopes by snow and ice.
I do think a close approximation of the trail is possible. In the past several have made a circuit around the mountain on skis,often staying higher up and traveling on glaciers.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 17th, 2015, 7:51 am

Do a search on turns-all-year.com. IIRC someone has done this route in winter on skis and posted a TR there.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

romann

Post by romann » April 17th, 2015, 10:51 pm

My guess is it's possible on the south half of the mountain, but cornices in the canyons will make it necessary to adjust the route. You can get above Little and Big Zigzag Canyons on relatively flat terrain above 8100 feel, and (supposedly) go down to Paradise Park with crampons and axe. You can cross White River low, pretty much where actual PCT is. I haven't visited other places on Hood in winter, but I think Eliot Canyon will require some special skills to say at least.

This is how Sand Canyon (barely noticeable gulch in the summer) looked in early December of 2011 - not winter conditions yet but the cornices just started to form

We didn't try to cross over Little Zigzag Canyon

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 18th, 2015, 1:07 pm

I would wonder about the water crossings and if most are under snow bridges or if there are some steep drop offs where the creeks cut through?

-GoalTech

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » April 19th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Well this year would have been a great opportunity to try it. You might have even met Pepper and Trauma out there.
PCT class of 2012

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 20th, 2015, 11:45 am

If you were planning to walk around Mt. Hood in the winter, I would ditch the idea of trying to follow the Timberline Trail. Anywhere the trail traverses a ridge, there will be no cut where the summer trail is. You would be more successful either hiking lower or up higher at the crests of ridges, but this latter course would require a significant amount of gain/loss at the canyons.

If you have good navigation skills, connecting the basins around the Three Sisters would probably be a more rewarding adventure. But this should only be attempted if you have extensive snow and navigation skills (not for someone who "always wanted to go backpacking").