Munra Exposure

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
romann

Re: Munra Exposure

Post by romann » April 17th, 2015, 11:17 pm

Chase wrote: The Wahclella lot will be closed the next few days, which will mean some hikers will unexpectedly have to park at Eagle or Yeon.
This. And even when open, this lot is small and quickly fills to capacity.

Few beginner hikers will try (or find) trail to Munra from Eagle/Toothrock, and I think a portion of trail from Yeon was razed by Historic Highway re-construction (it was a couple of years ago so maybe things changed). So Munra seems pretty safe now because of limited parking - just need to get there early to find a spot :P

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 18th, 2015, 6:45 pm

That didn't take long. Rescue attempt in progress article at Munra over on Oregonlive right now...

Chase

Post by Chase » April 18th, 2015, 7:04 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... rt_sms_app

pdxgene wrote:That didn't take long. Rescue attempt in progress article at Munra over on Oregonlive right now...
Is it ok to feel guilty for not doing more to stop this?

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2015, 7:14 pm

All unofficial trails need to be removed from the firld guide....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Martell

Post by Martell » April 18th, 2015, 7:32 pm

It has been in the Field Guide for 8 years.
Guidebooks that cover this hike
Day Hike! Columbia Gorge, by Seabury Blair, Jr.
Afoot and Afield Portland/Vancouver, by Douglas Lorain
35 Hiking Trails, Columbia River Gorge, by Don & Roberta Lowe
Columbia River Gorge, 42 Scenic Hikes, by Don & Roberta Lowe
Hiking the Columbia River Gorge - 1st and 2nd Editions, by Russ Schneider
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon - 3rd Edition, by William L Sullivan
Edit: It's also listed on nwhikers.net, trails.com and backpacker.com.

I'm not sure what purpose removing it would serve.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 18th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Also anyone that even clicked on Oregonlive's home page the last couple days had no choice but to look right at it. They even had a picture of someone walking the narrow part right there with the story banner. So it's a bit early to jump to conclusions and blame information in the Field Guide when it was in full view of hikers and non-hikers alike while it was on the front page of the state's biggest newspaper..

Martell

Post by Martell » April 18th, 2015, 7:42 pm

If safety is the issue, I'd rather we add more information about safety to the page. Someone could create a 2-3 minute Youtube video specifically about safety issues on the hike- maybe something people would actually check out (rather than bold disclaimer text they'd probably skip over). Just brainstorming.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2015, 8:15 pm

pdxgene wrote:So it's a bit early to jump to conclusions and blame information in the Field Guide when it was in full view of hikers and non-hikers alike while it was on the front page of the state's biggest newspaper..
I'm not blaming the accident itself on the Field Guide, I'm blaming the increased popularity on the Field Guide. ...there's a pretty good clue in the article the author got his info from the field guide.

I just don't think think the unofficial routes can handle the traffic of increased popularity and I doubt the forest service will ever adopt a trail like Munra. What was the trail like 8 years ago?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » April 18th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Koda wrote:All unofficial trails need to be removed from the firld guide....
First time for everything Koda!

In all the posts over the year's here I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you!

This Forum is not responsible for this accident, the Oregonian article is not responsible for this (Though I do hold the author of the Oregonian article culpable for making light of the potential danger on this hike.)

Every so often I trip over on my feet while hiking, it's no ones fault it just happens, luckily it's never happened on the Eagle Creek Trail or anywhere else that it would make a difference.

It could have happened to me or Chiyoko on last weeks hike up Munra, it didn't but it could have.....
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chase

Post by Chase » April 18th, 2015, 9:21 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... rt_sms_app

A hiker who fell off a 20-foot cliff in the Columbia River Gorge has been transported to an area hospital with serious injuries, while state police respond to the news that a volunteer responder called to help the hiker was hit while walking nearby.