Munra Exposure

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Limey

Re: Munra Exposure

Post by Limey » April 17th, 2015, 7:42 am

When I posted this I admit it was because I was worried that unprepared people would go there and be out of their comfort zone. This, to me, seems like it would possibly increase the need of rescue and it certainly didn't have anything to do with being a "better hiker". I personally have not done Munra, much as I'd like to, because I can't handle that kind of exposure. I know my limitations and I don't push them. I was just trying to show my concern over the safety of fellow human beings.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 17th, 2015, 8:13 am

kepPNW wrote:
scrambler2 wrote:The hikers on this board complaining about the exposure is like a pot calling the kettle black.
Nailed it.
yeah, I agree... nailed it.

scrambler2 wrote:In fact, some of my special places have changed because of PH. Something I have come to learn the hard way. I won't do detailed trip reports due to this. Sometimes it's best to just keep your memories to yourself.
I agree, this is why I hardly post trip reports anymore.

I do think this site does contribute way more to exposing these lesser know, off trail, whatever hiking routes to the public. There is a lot of information buried in this forum that is easily searchable, and in my observation many many more public at large lurking the forum. The Field Guide is a better guide book than any of them ever published... in my opinion that should be shut down. Flame me for it, call me exclusive whatever.... the wilderness is there open for all to explore Im all for it so go for it but it cant sustain the masses who dont really want to explore it they want easy access to new places for instant gratification and are only following on the heels of the experienced who originally just wanted to share there experience with like minded individuals. Thats understandable but things have changed and the writing is on the wall. We physically practice leave no trace in the wilderness, we need to do the same virtually on the web.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 17th, 2015, 10:47 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
-Q- wrote:UGGGG :(

So long Munra.
Used to be such a quite & off the grid trail.
Continuing on from Munra Pt and up the Munra Ridge should remain somewhat on the quiet side Q, I hope...
You and me both. Certainly hoping that ridgeline keeps its quite side. I suspect it will.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 17th, 2015, 10:54 am

scrambler2 wrote:The hikers on this board complaining about the exposure is like a pot calling the kettle black.
I agree with this statement, and also fully admit that I am sometimes guilty of trying to keep off the grid hikes off the grid.
Sometimes we are all a little selfish ;)

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » April 17th, 2015, 11:14 am

I think anyone who still sees Munra as a secret is in denial. Munra is practically the most official "unofficial" trail in the gorge. It's covered as a hike in a ton of hiking resources and the trail is in better shape from use than a few official trails, not to mention the 400 that leads to it in the first place. Last time I did it I met a guy who had hiked the trail 15+ times and uses it as part of his workout routine. He brought all 5 of his friends along for the hike. We all got stopped waiting at the gully near the top so two dads could help their 10 year old son climb the rock (Kids are such a bad idea here, ugh). I saw a dog owner with a tiny terrier climbing up on the way back down. Munra is not a secret whatsoever and at this point it's probably better to try and get the Forest Service to make an official path with complete warning signs and fix the erosion problems at the bottom than it is to try and be hush hush about it. Now if the Oregonian writes up a piece on the Elevator Shaft, we might be in serious trouble.
-Q- wrote: Continuing on from Munra Pt and up the Munra Ridge should remain somewhat on the quiet side, I hope...
What ridgeline? That fell away in a landslide (wink wink)

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » April 17th, 2015, 11:25 am

Limey wrote:When I posted this I admit it was because I was worried that unprepared people would go there and be out of their comfort zone. This, to me, seems like it would possibly increase the need of rescue and it certainly didn't have anything to do with being a "better hiker". I personally have not done Munra, much as I'd like to, because I can't handle that kind of exposure. I know my limitations and I don't push them. I was just trying to show my concern over the safety of fellow human beings.
Let's give some credit to other human beings. Sure there are reports of people getting in over their head, getting lost, injured, or even die BUT you don't usually hear about the people who simply turn around.

I think I remember hearing about a one fatality on the Munra. I'm pretty sure it was due to a heart attack.

I would worry about more people on the Eagle Creek trail than Munra since it takes some effort to get to the exposure. With Eagle Creek you can quickly get in trouble just minutes from the car.
PCT class of 2012

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 17th, 2015, 11:51 am

People get hurt or die in much easier places and in absolutely perfect conditions. Another hiker/photographer fell at the Blue Pool last week (articles in most all the local media), hit his head and died. That would be the second person (U of O student that dove in being the other) in the last two or three years.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 17th, 2015, 5:12 pm

If the folks only knew they could hike up the ridge and through some rhododendron bushes near the end and spit themselves out onto a nice BPA service road which eventually makes it's way to the old Moffet Creek trail.

Oh, oops...

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » April 17th, 2015, 7:45 pm

I prefer to hike in more isolated areas so I leave the Gorge :) It's so close to portland that it's going to see the a lot of users. I'm glad to see hiking promoted and there are still plenty of quiet areas you just have to be willing to drive to them. The author of the article should caution people if the trail is especially dangerous. On a slight side note, do people still read newspapers? ;)

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 17th, 2015, 8:32 pm

I agree with almost everyone here that the large digital footprint of this site has at least partially contributed to the massive upswing in hikers on lesser-known trails. It's both a good and bad thing: while on one hand trails that used to be quiet are no longer so (such as Munra), it is also nice to see some trails that need love getting more exposure. It's too bad he couldn't have written about say, the Tygh Creek Trail - a beautiful trail with a similar elevation profile that sees only a few hikers a month because it happens to be a very long drive from anywhere populated. The Tygh Creek Trail is so faint in spots that you have to squint just to see it! It could use some more visitors (hint, hint...). There are plenty of other trails that could use some love that are well worth hiking, and finding them is a large part of the fun.

As a rule of course, the crowds tend to be more of an issue with the Gorge than anywhere else. Most people aren't willing to drive more than an hour and the ease of access tends to cluster large amounts of people in the same areas. While it's nice to not have to drive very far, there's a reason I prefer to hike in places like Bull of the Woods and Badger Creek (where you will find the Tygh Creek Trail), and why I tend to seek out obscure hikes more often than not. When I go to the Gorge, I have the expectation that there will be a lot of people and I deal with it accordingly.

I wouldn't worry about this article. The Oregonian has been hemorrhaging readership for years, and nobody will see the article after next week. And if you want to hike Munra Point, it is very easy to find information about it. The teeth-gnashing going on here about Munra is unjustified. It would be much, much worse if it were something like the Mindlovich Trail, Cook Hill or some of the other off the grid hikes in the Gorge. When I wrote Off the Beaten Trail I debated adding some of those trails in the book and decided they didn't need any more exposure. Some places need to stay a secret.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com