Photo Corkboard 2015 (Share your photos!!)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
markesc

Re: Photo Corkboard 2015 (Share your photos!!)

Post by markesc » March 21st, 2015, 6:27 pm

Splintercat wrote:Chris, I love the row of photographers! :lol: Is that at Pittock Mansion?

Tom
Yes that's @ the Pittock. Cross that place off your list if you have an expectation of any solitude regardless of day of week/time of year. Normally I wouldn't be as bitter about it, but these guys were exceptionally obnoxious, loud, etc...I even went back for a Monday sunrise, same result, even more people! For me, enjoying the moment without disturbing others is just as important as attempting to capture it. The act of photography sort of serves as therapy and a calm departure from the stress of working in the evil banking world. If I cannot even enjoy it, I'd rather just not even be there at all...

I'm guessing more people moving here, better economy, cheaper cameras/more choices, etc? Even though wages are stagnate when considered against inflation...as a Portland native, I have mixed feelings on the matter, and have even adjusted my work schedule to where I don't even attempt to go anywhere/do anything on weekends...still worthy of a visit during the jan/feb inversions, just expect to get there 3 hours before sunrise if you want to be in front of the line, or better: just find a new place, and don't post photos of it online, and then you'll hopefully be able to enjoy it for a few years before someone else finds it, posts photos, and then it's a Zoo :lol:

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » March 21st, 2015, 8:18 pm

Couldn't agree more!

I like sharing my photos, but usually because it's an unusual moment, or a place a lot of people don't visit.

If you can get right to it etc, it ruins the feel.

You won't find me at a lot of touristy places. It's also the reason I volunteer to work weekends, so I can get out during the week.
markesc wrote:
Splintercat wrote:Chris, I love the row of photographers! :lol: Is that at Pittock Mansion?

Tom
Yes that's @ the Pittock. Cross that place off your list if you have an expectation of any solitude regardless of day of week/time of year. Normally I wouldn't be as bitter about it, but these guys were exceptionally obnoxious, loud, etc...I even went back for a Monday sunrise, same result, even more people! For me, enjoying the moment without disturbing others is just as important as attempting to capture it. The act of photography sort of serves as therapy and a calm departure from the stress of working in the evil banking world. If I cannot even enjoy it, I'd rather just not even be there at all...

I'm guessing more people moving here, better economy, cheaper cameras/more choices, etc? Even though wages are stagnate when considered against inflation...as a Portland native, I have mixed feelings on the matter, and have even adjusted my work schedule to where I don't even attempt to go anywhere/do anything on weekends...still worthy of a visit during the jan/feb inversions, just expect to get there 3 hours before sunrise if you want to be in front of the line, or better: just find a new place, and don't post photos of it online, and then you'll hopefully be able to enjoy it for a few years before someone else finds it, posts photos, and then it's a Zoo :lol:

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 21st, 2015, 11:32 pm

I've had a lot of good weekends already this year, but none more so than when we went to Central Oregon in February and found blue skies, warm weather and deep canyons. This one is from the Otter Bench hike:

And this one was from the Scout Camp Trail:

And this is from the madhouse that was Steelhead Falls:

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

markesc

Post by markesc » March 22nd, 2015, 11:58 am

Yeah it's tough to find the balance between sharing vs. not. On one hand I'm thinking historically a lot of places were preserved because they were indeed photographed (Yosemite comes to mind), yet, they as places of depart from a sense of solitude and rejuvenation and become over time, just another box people want to check-off: "seen that..." Sort of a herd mentality, resulting from a very short lived experience.

Also, the "shelf life" of a landscape photo today vs. years ago comes to mind as the technology improves... I've even experienced from some where if a photo is "old" then it's irrelevant. Interesting...

Not sure where the checklist life comes from, but as photographers I'm sure most would agree you'll get the best results going back to the same places multiple times...

I'm with you on the weekday only thing!!!

weathercrazy wrote:Couldn't agree more!

I like sharing my photos, but usually because it's an unusual moment, or a place a lot of people don't visit.

If you can get right to it etc, it ruins the feel.

You won't find me at a lot of touristy places. It's also the reason I volunteer to work weekends, so I can get out during the week.
markesc wrote:

Tom

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » March 22nd, 2015, 3:58 pm

Swag enjoying Wildwood trail this morning.

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » March 23rd, 2015, 4:41 am

Yesterday in Vancouver around 6 PM

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 24th, 2015, 11:07 am

Cascade Head 3-22-15

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 24th, 2015, 11:08 am

weathercrazy wrote:Yesterday in Vancouver around 6 PM

WOAH!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » March 25th, 2015, 11:32 am

Somewhere in the Mojave Desert we found an old salt flat after it had just rained the previous night.

I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » March 25th, 2015, 11:35 am

TJ_T wrote:Somewhere in the Mojave Desert we found an old salt flat after it had just rained the previous night.
Ok, that's pretty cool.