2015 Snow Level Thread

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
obera

Re: 2015 Snow Level Thread

Post by obera » February 25th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Well friends, it looks like they're calling for some snow.. http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... rt_m-rpt-1
oh-beer-ah

drm

Post by drm » February 28th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Did the lower part of Falls Creek today. No snow there of course, but this photo looking up at Red Mtn shows the snow line. Looks like low 4000s.
fcf 5.jpg
Red Mtn from Falls Creek Trail at the swamp

romann

Post by romann » March 1st, 2015, 9:11 pm

Dog River trail 3/1 - dusting of new snow in shaded areas from 2600-2700'. Hit near-consistent snow coverage on the road at 3650' but even there was a couple inches, should melt fast unless we get more on Monday.

obera

Post by obera » March 2nd, 2015, 8:23 am

Hiked Gorton Creek up to Green Point Mountain, down the cutoff to Herman Creek and back. There were, at most, a couple of inches at the highest elevations, with trace amounts starting around 4k. The trail was easy to follow and the dusting of snow on the trees was gorgeous.
oh-beer-ah

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 2nd, 2015, 8:35 am

No snow to report on the Oregon Coast.

:lol:

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 2nd, 2015, 11:43 am

A friend posted a pic on FB from a hike to Devil's Peak Lookout and there couldn't have been more than maybe 1.5" at the summit, for anyone considering that hike.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 2nd, 2015, 1:00 pm

As of Sunday (3/1/15) on Mt St Helens...

The 81 road is now open all the way from Kalama to Cougar.

Very awesome surprise when I saw the open gate yesterday.

The gate is also open to the Blue Lake TH.

No snow anywhere near Red Rock Pass.

No snow at Butte Camp Dome.

I easily hiked to the Loowit Trail in minor new snow, then continued east on the Loowit to the big meadows.

Hardly any snow on the Loowit... maybe 2 inches or so at the 4800' level.
Its melting fast too

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 2nd, 2015, 11:47 pm

Snow conditions on Tanner Butte as of 3/1:

I expect the little dusting from last week's storm will be gone in the next day or two (if it isn't already) and then there will be none. :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 5th, 2015, 12:51 pm

-Q- wrote:As of Sunday (3/1/15) on Mt St Helens...

I easily hiked to the Loowit Trail in minor new snow, then continued east on the Loowit to the big meadows.
Okay, this is bizarre. I just called the MSHNVM office, to ask about the gates there, and the lady I spoke with positively adamant that the gates were in place and locked at both ends of that road. She said the gate at the western (KHC) end had been accidentally unlocked for a brief period, but that her rangers and LEO folks were making sure they were no more. And that they won't be opened officially for another couple months. She went on to say anyone who'd been there was there illegally, and so on. Did I mention she was adamant? Sounded like they've been fielding this question a lot lately. I think you hit a golden opportunity, and wish it were still there. :cry:

Oh, and as a BTW, she also said that washout between Climber's Bivouac and Red Rock Pass had gotten much worse over the winter, and would be extremely difficult to drive through at this point.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 5th, 2015, 7:10 pm

kepPNW wrote:
-Q- wrote:As of Sunday (3/1/15) on Mt St Helens...

Okay, this is bizarre. I just called the MSHNVM office, to ask about the gates there, and the lady I spoke with positively adamant that the gates were in place and locked at both ends of that road. She said the gate at the western (KHC) end had been accidentally unlocked for a brief period, but that her rangers and LEO folks were making sure they were no more. And that they won't be opened officially for another couple months. She went on to say anyone who'd been there was there illegally, and so on. Did I mention she was adamant? Sounded like they've been fielding this question a lot lately. I think you hit a golden opportunity, and wish it were still there. :cry:

Oh, and as a BTW, she also said that washout between Climber's Bivouac and Red Rock Pass had gotten much worse over the winter, and would be extremely difficult to drive through at this point.
Yes, I might have hit the golden opportunity for sure.

I should clarify that I only drove the road from Kalama Horse Camp to Red Rock Pass.

I assumed (darnit) that the road was open all the way to Cougar, since why would they unlock the gate at one end and not the other.

The gate to Blue Lake was definitely unlocked though, as I stopped and looked directly at it.