Nasty Rocks Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
madriver

Nasty Rocks Trail

Post by madriver » March 19th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Has anybody been up this trail in Opal Creek Wilderness? My buddy and me tried yesterday, but got snowed out after about 2 miles. Where does it go?

mattisnotfrench

Re: Nasty Rocks Trail

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 19th, 2014, 9:33 pm

It goes up to a viewpoint of a rock that is actually not Nasty Rock. Here's a link: http://www.cascaderamblings.com/cascade ... 3277.17701

I did this last fall and found nothing to recommend on my way up. It's extremely steep, viewless for the most part and doesn't really go anywhere. I never got to the viewpoint listed above. When I hit the top of the ridge I had a sensation of being watched unlike any I've ever experienced anywhere and I hightailed it out of there as fast as I could.

It's honestly my least favorite trail in the entire Opal Creek-Bull of the Woods area, and I cannot recommend it to anyone except for obsessive fans of this area who want to hike every single trail.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » March 20th, 2014, 6:22 am

I hiked this at dusk a few years back. Matt is right, a fast, punishing climb, but a nice reward at the top. Might be fun to rock climb "Not-Nasty" Rock, but I was out of my element and decided not to risk it.

Nice for a bit of solitude, though.

View of "Not-Nasty", looking NW:
Not_Nasty_Rock_NW_View.jpg
Nice view of Jefferson that evening:
Not_Nasty_Rock_Jeff_View.jpg

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 20th, 2014, 6:42 am

That's pretty nice, Carl. Looks like I should have kept going. But yeah, the trail sucks.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

madriver

Post by madriver » March 22nd, 2014, 12:07 am

Thanks. Maybe someday this summer...