Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

Re: Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries

Post by Koda » August 28th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:It's gotta mean that enough folks are leaving valuables in their cars to make it worthwhile for the thieves. If we left only dirty old sneakers in our cars, they'd give up!
I agree but not gonna happen, there's too many tourons who can't go sight seeing without bringing all the electronics along.

I'd love to interview a car clouter and find out just how much they make annually, and what their MO is? I think the risk of getting caught is way too low and the payoff is too lucrative. I think the best thing we can do is figure out how to best mitigate being a victim and take those chances.

I may start leaving my car unlocked and if its nice out leave a window down, with nothing inside its an easy choice to move to the next car.... a worthless window smash is that much more risk of getting caught, I imagine time is of the essence.

What are the types of car clouters and what are their MO's?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » August 28th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:

In all cases, the cost of the damage far, far exceeded the cost of the repairs. I have a solution to this problem but it is not politically correct. (not that I really care!!)

dn
I think we all have a solution that's not PC, all I can say is I have no sympathy for the clouter and would in most cases look the other way. One of these days one of them is going to get it and I hope it makes the news.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 28th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Koda wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:

In all cases, the cost of the damage far, far exceeded the cost of the repairs. I have a solution to this problem but it is not politically correct. (not that I really care!!)

dn
I think we all have a solution that's not PC, all I can say is I have no sympathy for the clouter and would in most cases look the other way. One of these days one of them is going to get it and I hope it makes the news.
Oops, I meant to say "....the cost of the damage far, far exceeded the cost of the items taken.

Anyway, the only solution for the time being as far as I can see is due diligence - the non-pc solution is just too potentially difficult for us normally law abiding types.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 28th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I've had my car broken into twice

Parked next to Powells. Stole cigarettes. Solution - don't buy any more cigarettes.

At Top Spur I closed door. Pack pushed against door lock button. Doors Locked. I broke into it.

My non PC solution is to sell meth at drug stores. Don't take stolen goods as payment. As long as you have the users there, maybe it's possible to treat some of them.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 28th, 2012, 9:05 pm

when my jeep got clouted this summer we came up with our version of a non-pc solution:

anti-clouter device, when the window is smashed an ankle clamp (mounted under the car frame) grabs the ankle permanently. This would have even greater value if it happened on day one of a 5 day rainy backpack tour.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 28th, 2012, 9:18 pm

This never gets old.....I hope.......Link

But the clouters can be tracked down if law enforcement is willing Link
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Chase

Post by Chase » August 29th, 2012, 6:18 am

Grannyhiker wrote:It's gotta mean that enough folks are leaving valuables in their cars to make it worthwhile for the thieves. If we left only dirty old sneakers in our cars, they'd give up!
I sort of buy into this argument. Make your car the least appealing one for a break-in as a deterrent. Not really a solution, but just a good tip that (while not guaranteed to work) just might help. I don't think someone will give up if they are desperate enough due to meth issues; just make your vehicle the less appealing.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » August 29th, 2012, 10:06 am

I know FS volunteers are few, but maybe check the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area's branch of the FS, I believe Ian. Maybe he can periodically post one or two of his volunteers in these areas. Maybe they could rove different TH's. Just a thought. Maybe TKO can offshoot some of its volunteers to perform periodic drive throughs. I really think "This Area Is Under Survelliance" signs may deter thefts to some extent, but Uncle Sam is unwilling to make them or purchase them. :?:

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 29th, 2012, 10:56 am

ForestKeeper wrote: I really think "This Area Is Under Survelliance" signs may deter thefts to some extent, but Uncle Sam is unwilling to make them or purchase them. :?:
I guess I can kinda see why they don't. The signs get posted, some cars get broken into, some break in owner gets a lawyer that realizes the signs were decoys and there weren't really any cameras and here come the lawsuits claiming some kind of implied protection doesn't really exist and so on and so on..

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 29th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Sometime last year one of the local TV news stations did a piece about preventing break-ins and they showed footage of cars at the Multnomah Falls parking lot with lots of valuable stuff sitting out in plain sight: purses, cell phones, ipods, handheld GPS units, and more. These people make me just as angry as the clouters because they are making a bad situation worse.