Ripley's "Portland Hikers Museum" - Believe it or Not!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

Re: Ripley's "Portland Hikers Museum" - Believe it or Not!

Post by Splintercat » December 16th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Spotted Friday at the Latourell Falls loop, next to the "regular, human-sized" bench west of the falls -- a comfortable seat for salamanders? Or maybe really tiny hikers...?

Left it there for a young hiker to discover...

-Tom :)

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » January 15th, 2013, 9:02 am

I was hiking along Yalcolt Creek in WA a couple of weeks ago and noticed a ring around a tree. I knew immediately what it was....an old wagon wheel. The wood is long gone but the metal rim is intact. The tree is pretty big that grew up inside of it so it's been sitting out here for a long time. Kind of neat that it hasn't rusted through yet.
IMG_0818.JPG
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

RexSe7en

Post by RexSe7en » January 15th, 2013, 10:16 am

Rustygoat wrote:I was hiking along Yalcolt Creek in WA a couple of weeks ago and noticed a ring around a tree. I knew immediately what it was....an old wagon wheel. The wood is long gone but the metal rim is intact. The tree is pretty big that grew up inside of it so it's been sitting out here for a long time. Kind of neat that it hasn't rusted through yet.
That's really neat! Thanks for sharing the awesome find!

cfm

Post by cfm » January 24th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Art or garbage?

This was displayed along the Alder Trail in Forest Park. I was hoping the laptop would display a clever message or movie, but it wouldn't turn on.
art.jpg

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » January 25th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Rustygoat wrote:I was hiking along Yalcolt Creek in WA a couple of weeks ago and noticed a ring around a tree. I knew immediately what it was....an old wagon wheel. The wood is long gone but the metal rim is intact. The tree is pretty big that grew up inside of it so it's been sitting out here for a long time. Kind of neat that it hasn't rusted through yet.
IMG_0818.JPG

Is this right across the road from Moulton Falls Park? There's one along the trail there that was used as a marker for a Geocache a few years ago, which is when we found it. It's delightful to find something like that which can only happen over a long time :)
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » January 26th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Is this right across the road from Moulton Falls Park? There's one along the trail there that was used as a marker for a Geocache a few years ago, which is when we found it. It's delightful to find something like that which can only happen over a long time :)[/quote]

Yes...we did find this across from Moulton Falls Park. I thought it was really neat . :)

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Chase

Post by Chase » January 26th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Shepperd's Dell - January 2013

Looking down from the bridge.

On the boulder in the middle you can see something like litter.

Zooming in closer and there's a photo of an Asian woman in a frame, broken glass, and possibly a bundle of flowers.

But how did it get there and why?
At first I thought maybe somebody lowered it with a string so that it would land on the boulder because dropping it from such a distance and having it land squarely on the rock seemed nearly impossible (if that was their intention). But then, my little brain thought, why would the glass be broken. The broken glass seems to be the result of a fall.
If it fell, that's amazing that it landed face-up and in the middle of the boulder.

Another angle showing how difficult it would be to place it on the boulder by hand.

Zoomed in.

Another angle.

Zoomed again.

Look at that distance from the bridge!

forester

Post by forester » January 26th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I'd say dropping it that distance and having it land like that is nearly impossible for a single object like that. And unless they have a fairly complicated rigging system, lowering it by string would also seem unlikely. My guess is they did it by hand by hopping onto the boulder. I've done crazier things than that... The broken glass would then be explained by a falling branch or similar. Could even have been from the weight of ice and/or snow. A lot of frames have very thin glass.

This has the look of a shrine. Is it the work of a grieving family for a woman who took her life there? Tragic. Maybe the broken frame is symbolic.

Chase

Post by Chase » January 26th, 2013, 5:47 pm

That's a dangerous jump to that boulder! Yipes!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 26th, 2013, 5:59 pm

maybe they tossed it from the spot they would have had to jump from, like just a few feet away?