What are your 2012 hiking goals?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Grannyhiker

Re: What are your 2012 hiking goals?

Post by Grannyhiker » December 16th, 2011, 2:46 pm

I also plan to spend a lot of time surveying the fire zone on the north side of Hood, plus I've got some trail restoration projects lined up here and there.
I suspect there will be some restoration needed up there in the fire zone. Unfortunately my old bones/joints are getting a bit past being able to do anything effective towards trail maintenance/restoration! I still regularly do the "flick a stick, kick a rock, unblock drainage ditches" routine as I hike (another good use for trekking poles, BTW), but that's about it. I certainly do appreciate others' trail maintenance efforts!

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » December 16th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Thanks Tom/Splintercat

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 16th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Sure!
I still regularly do the "flick a stick, kick a rock, unblock drainage ditches" routine as I hike (another good use for trekking poles, BTW), but that's about it.
Good for you! Granny, if everyone did that, the trails would be spotless!

I've had this idea (for TKO) of setting out free clippers at trailheads (like Vista Ridge), complete with holster and simple instructions for brushing, with a challenge to spend 15 minutes on every hike pruning back the brushy sections. A few people already do this, but I think a lot more would if they had just a bit of encouragement and direction -- and a pair of free clippers!

-Tom :)

potato

Post by potato » December 16th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Yeah, and maybe if you set out free clippers people will just steal those instead of breaking into cars...
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 16th, 2011, 7:51 pm

theradpotato wrote:Yeah, and maybe if you set out free clippers people will just steal those instead of breaking into cars...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pruners aren't cheap. I just bought a pair, and also a holster, to take on hikes. I bought a big ol' pair that is supposedly able to cut 1" branches. Can't wait to test that out.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » December 17th, 2011, 12:40 am

Crusak wrote:It might be a bit early for this topic, but what are your goals for 2012?
I don't keep track of total EG or miles... I tend to plan my trips on the fly with less formal planning, but I have had stuck in my head a ski touring winter traverse of a portion of the Elkhorn Range in the blues... I hope I get a chance, looking into routes/access and maybe next Feb...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 17th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Wow... that sounds overwhelming to me, Wayne... but I'll enjoy your photos..! :)
Yeah, and maybe if you set out free clippers people will just steal those instead of breaking into cars...
Okay, revised to say "up the trailhead at the registration box", and thus out of sight from degenerate-lazy-butt-crack-head-car-thieves.

-Tom :)

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » December 22nd, 2011, 11:40 pm

Redwoods are always in my sights.

But this year I want to go at least once to:

Mt. Hood
Olympic National Park
Mt. Rainier
One Gorge trail I have not been to yet
One coastal trail I have not been to yet

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » December 22nd, 2011, 11:41 pm

Crusak wrote:
theradpotato wrote:Yeah, and maybe if you set out free clippers people will just steal those instead of breaking into cars...

Pruners aren't cheap. I just bought a pair, and also a holster, to take on hikes. I bought a big ol' pair that is supposedly able to cut 1" branches. Can't wait to test that out.
It's called a Scabbard for pruners.

LOL

:D

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 23rd, 2011, 12:07 am

mdvaden wrote:
Crusak wrote:

It's called a Scabbard for pruners.

LOL

:D
lol scabbard sounds appropriate, since those particular implements don't require reloading, like those other tools that people put in holsters. :lol: I always have the same confusion over geese - flock, skein, gaggle, er... a bunch? Ah but what's in a name? :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando