Bennett Pass - Route Options?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Bennett Pass - Route Options?

Post by Guy » November 20th, 2017, 6:37 am

Folks we did this snowshoe in red Yesterday. I'm looking at turning this into a loop in stead of an out and back. Has anyone hiked the route marked in blue and thoughts on doing the last little bit off trail to connect back up to Bennett Pass snow Park?

A related questions does that road marked in pink actually exist? I didn't notice it but wasn't looking for it either!

Thanks.
Bennett Pass Area.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Re: Bennett Pass - Route Options?

Post by Webfoot » November 20th, 2017, 9:34 am

Well IIRC I've driven most of the blue track, but I'm not sure what you want to know about it.

I am skeptical of the magenta route existing, even as a trail. It is marked as a road on some older maps but standing at the top and looking down it seems laughable that it was even planned (as a straight chute without switchbacks) much less built. Maybe someone made a trail in that area but it seems steep even for that (without switchbacks) so I'll make my W.A.G. that it's purely a map error.

On the other hand I wouldn't think it would be too hard to cross Hood River East Fork to 680 and make your way back to 35; I've wandered around in that area and it seems navigable.

Guy

Post by Guy » November 20th, 2017, 11:07 am

Yes also very skeptical on the magenta road based on topography.

No questions on the blue route, would just like to know if it's possible to get back to the Bennet pass snow park for where it ends without having to cross the Hood River East Fork.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » November 21st, 2017, 4:44 pm

If you can get a hold of an old Klindt Vielbig x-country ski book he has that route in there. Klindt skied most everywhere there was snow and created a lot of those routes. The part you marked in pink is a dotted line on Klindt's map which he defines a off road/off trail and gets you back up to Gun Sight Notch Saddle.

cfm

Post by cfm » November 24th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I have some friends who did a loop on skis last week, all the way to Teacup.

I think the magenta trail exists too!