Cancel Trip to Cascades?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
raymundo86

Cancel Trip to Cascades?

Post by raymundo86 » August 21st, 2017, 1:41 pm

Hi all, I am planning a trip to Bend after Labor Day weekend, Sept 4-7, and was hoping to spend quite a bit of time in and around Three Sisters. Obviously the wildfires change those plans.

It's my first time heading to the region, so I don't know how significantly this is or will limit access to trails. I'm wondering if the fires should change my plans? Any thoughts on alternative hikes/trails close to Bend that will (hopefully) be open?

Thanks!

xrp

Re: Cancel Trip to Cascades?

Post by xrp » August 21st, 2017, 7:00 pm

Diamond Peak Wilderness and Waldo Lake Wilderness.

drm

Post by drm » August 22nd, 2017, 6:46 am

Nothing against Bend, but is it possible to move your trip north to Portland and Mt Hood?

raymundo86

Post by raymundo86 » August 22nd, 2017, 8:19 am

drm wrote:Nothing against Bend, but is it possible to move your trip north to Portland and Mt Hood?
We are doing 3 nights in Portland, one night around Mt. Hood, and 2 nights in Bend. Do you recommend spending more time in Hood than Bend?

Water

Post by Water » August 22nd, 2017, 2:11 pm

i would be a little bummed about the fires for sure. Sounds like most of your time is in Portland anyways. There is a lot of really cool stuff to see around Bend, even if views are hazy, even if 3 sisters wilderness is largely closed.

there's not really a lack of incredible spots to explore/hike to in the NW, just be flexible.
Feel Free to Feel Free

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 22nd, 2017, 4:39 pm

Another option, depending on fire conditions, is to head up north into WA e.g., check out Mount St Helens and Rainier NP. I really like Bend and central Cascades but as others have said many other amazing options exist if you have flexible plans.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 23rd, 2017, 8:18 am

Newberry National Volcanic Monument is a good option for a day trip and/or 1 night backpack on Paulina Lake Trail. Head up to Paulina Peak (hike or drive) and check out the Big Obsidian Flow trail. Keep an eye on the smoke forecast as it is east of some of the fires.

Here is a link with more info:

https://www.fs.fed.us/r6/webmaps/7Wonders/

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

As others have said, keep your plans flexible. If the smoke conditions aren't too bad, come on down to Bend. Otherwise you're better off elsewhere. Today in Bend the air quality is in the red, so now only is it not fun to be out in the smoke, it's dangerous and viewless. I don't even want to go outside, which never happens.

Paulina, Waldo, Ochocos are decent options. Diamond Peak wilderness might be suffering from the smoke coming out of Crater Lake and southern Oregon fires.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos