2017 Mosquito thread?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
chooch

Re: 2017 Mosquito thread?

Post by chooch » July 25th, 2017, 2:50 pm

squidvicious wrote:
justpeachy wrote:We hiked from Top Spur to McNeil Point on Saturday, July 22 and it was VERY buggy. Some mosquitoes, but mostly black flies.
Glad to hear it isn't just me they like so much. I had the place to myself for a little bit yesterday, but it did me no good since any time I stopped moving I was *covered* in flies. They were happily flying around in the DEET as I was spraying it. I'm not usually bothered by bugs and don't typically even use repellent, but that was just unpleasant.
Thanks! Very helpful. Black flies seem to be somewhat repellent proof!

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 25th, 2017, 3:15 pm

chooch wrote:Black flies seem to be somewhat repellent proof!
FWIW, I had put a 20% picaridin spray on at the trailhead. I broke out the DEET that I had in my pack at the shelter because there were so many flies. Looking back on it, I can't specifically remember if they were actively getting to me before I got that out, or it just seemed like they would be. I know they were while I was spraying, and I've read a couple things today that suggest DEET can actually attract them. I don't remember having any problems with flies before I got to the shelter, and I couldn't shake the things for the whole trip back down, so there may be something to that.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2017, 3:35 pm

When I've tried DEET, it had no effect

Long pants, long shirt, head net

Keep walking briskly

Go way up where it's windy

Every year this happens for a couple weeks

TodF

Post by TodF » August 4th, 2017, 9:31 am

Spent 3 days backpacking Tygh Creek trail on north edge of Badger Creek Wilderness July 28-30. Almost no mosquitoes, and the flies were neither numerous nor biting.