Hiking with speakers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Re: Hiking with speakers

Post by squidvicious » July 6th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Water

Post by Water » July 7th, 2017, 12:18 pm

for the record, signal jamming is actually something the FCC is pretty good at cracking down on.

There is a great case of a guy in (Dallas?) Texas who had one because he didn't like people talking on their phones in the cars around him. They eventually tracked him down.

surprised me, but it seems like they put great resources towards preventing even small cases of it.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Koda

Post by Koda » July 7th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Water wrote:for the record, signal jamming is actually something the FCC is pretty good at cracking down on.

There is a great case of a guy in (Dallas?) Texas who had one because he didn't like people talking on their phones in the cars around him. They eventually tracked him down.

surprised me, but it seems like they put great resources towards preventing even small cases of it.
that would be for 2 way communication.
radios are actually receivers only and IIRC according to the FCC must accept radio interference.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 24th, 2017, 8:43 am

Now I have been infected by "one of those people" with the daypack speaker system.

I reacted quite appropriately. I tore the pack off the young woman's back and threw it over the cliff there at Bald Mountain vista, listening to it bounce on the rocks as it made its way toward the Muddy Fork. Ahhh...the sound of silence once it came to rest. :)

Oh, wait, I just woke up from a dream. Damn, I let that little brat continue down the trail contaminating the wilderness with her boom box. :(

I did verbalize my disgust for her selfish behavior, and I did note on my wilderness pass that one of the rules is to "Let the sound of nature prevail. No loud voices or loud sounds."

So if my dream was a reality, maybe by hoisting of the boom box over the cliff would be in compliance with the wilderness rules? I could only hope for a jury of my wilderness peers to let me off...or even issue a reward.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 24th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Where's Spock when you need him? :lol:

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » July 25th, 2017, 10:06 pm

I've been ramping up some hiking to trail running sometimes and music is almost a must, I do typically wear headphones but I also get up as early as 4am for some hikes. So there are times when I know people will be far and few between if there are any at all so I will use the speaker when I am needing to be more aware. I do keep my finger near the pause button as I collect all of the forests spider webs with my face however, and will pause for everyone because I am trying to enjoy my music....no one else is....
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington