Munra Point fixed ropes?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: Munra Point fixed ropes?

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Bosterson wrote: If you fell down the Munra chimney, you probably wouldn't die unless you landed on your head. But that could happen walking down some stairs.
I laughed at that. I bonked my head going up. From my TR:
I continued up the "trail", foolishly paying attention to just the ten feet in front of me, and as I scrambled up a section next to a tree I took a hard blow to my head. Initially assumed it was a branch of that tree, but no, there wasn't one at that height. Oh crap, was it that sharp pointy overhanging rock? Yep, sure enough. I know of at least two emergency medical evacuations up here, and I didn't want to be another. I sat down and waited for signs of dizziness or nausea. Evaluated my wound. Decided I was good to go.
I get a little too exuberant sometimes. :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 27th, 2017, 6:50 pm

fixed ropes at Eliot on Mt Hood, except now they put in a trail

lots of ropes on the Olympics where the trail exits the beach, like Toleak Point trail

yeah, not good to trust nylon that's been out for a while. UV weakens it. okay for a handhold but you have to assume it will break if you put load on it. It sort of shows where the trail is.

I was hiking on the Metolius River and I've never seen so much flagging. I though of Nat :) And it's obvious where the trail is so need for any. Maybe it was from the winter when everything was covered by snow, but even then it's obvious where the trail is

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 27th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Chip Down wrote:I laughed at that. I bonked my head going up.

I get a little too exuberant sometimes. :lol:
Now I'm even more sure I want to see you in action. :mrgreen:

johngo

Post by johngo » March 28th, 2017, 3:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:fixed ropes at Eliot on Mt Hood, except now they put in a trail

lots of ropes on the Olympics where the trail exits the beach, like Toleak Point trail

yeah, not good to trust nylon that's been out for a while. UV weakens it. okay for a handhold but you have to assume it will break if you put load on it. It sort of shows where the trail is.
Jerry,

Very good points. Fixed ropes exist on several significant hiking trails. Climbing ropes need a multiple years to significantly degrade from UV light. Don't batman up them with full body weight, use it to catch a gentle slip.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 28th, 2017, 4:24 pm

If I recall correctly polyester rope degrades more slowly outdoors than nylon. Maybe a good choice in places where a fixed line is justified?

mandrake

Post by mandrake » March 29th, 2017, 9:06 am

I kinda doubt a lot of folks leaving ropes behind give much thought to questions such as nylon vs. polyester. "What's cheap?" is likely a dominating factor while shopping at the local hardware store. I've seen at least one "rope" left behind in the Gorge that was pretty much glorified shoelace material. We cut it and packed it out.

Fixed ropes you find in the backcountry should always be treated with suspicion. Apart from questions about quality of material (is this a climbing-rated rope?) & exposure to the elements (UV, moisture, wildlife chewing on them) - don't assume whoever placed them knew anything about knot tying. Here's one awesome example found out at the coast. This is the top of a fixed rope down a steep slope out of frame photo-right:

The vast majority of folks visiting Munra are likely doing an out & back. Suggestion: if your party requires a fixed rope for a little extra security, set one and then just take it down when you leave. Always good to minimize / avoid leaving material in the backcountry.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 29th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Mandrake's picture is funny. I wish to contribute another shocking example of ropes apparently set by drunk cubscouts:
Attachments
ropes.jpg

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 29th, 2017, 7:49 pm

mandrake wrote:I kinda doubt a lot of folks leaving ropes behind give much thought to questions such as nylon vs. polyester. "What's cheap?" is likely a dominating factor while shopping at the local hardware store. I've seen at least one "rope" left behind in the Gorge that was pretty much glorified shoelace material. We cut it and packed it out.
To be sure, which is why I thought establishing what is least likely to be a deathtrap would be good. I am quite clumsy and therefore feel the need for protection sooner than a lot of you, so I appreciate the motivation behind the ropes. The community seems pretty clearly against a rope on Munra, Wilderness and all, but a well placed rope in other cases might actually make people more safe instead of less. :|

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 30th, 2017, 7:37 am

We've carried people off Munra multiple times throughout the years (not fun), for all sorts of reasons, but I can't honestly say I remember a mission (or recovery) as a result of one of these ropes failing... But personally I would never fully trust one. More likely than not, someone who has a rope of the quality I would want, would never actually just abandon it, unless it was already 'retired' from their cache, in which case I wouldn't want it anyways. Not mention the unreliability of magical mystery knots that you can't check until after you've climbed it...

johngo

Post by johngo » March 30th, 2017, 7:52 am

Lurch, The ropes I have seen on Munra have been climbing ropes, at least 8mm. As you prolly know, a climbing rope may be "retired" because of damage in one spot, but the rest of the rope may be fine. And you can isolate the damaged part with a butterfly knot, retaining full strength in the rope.