food storage in Sisters Wilderness?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
elpat29

food storage in Sisters Wilderness?

Post by elpat29 » August 23rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

Hi all -

I am taking my second ever backpacking trip around the Three Sisters in a few weeks and am looking for advice for food storage there. I know bears may be present in that area but shouldn't be a concern for backpackers - please correct me if this is wrong. That being said, what is the most effective way to protect food from rodents and other small animals? Buying a new bear canister is not in my budget at the moment. Thanks for any and all advice!

retired jerry

Re: food storage in Sisters Wilderness?

Post by retired jerry » August 23rd, 2016, 6:37 pm

I have a canister but only use it when required

I just hang my food in my pack from a tree. Make sure it's at least a few feet off ground and away from branch.

I once had a rodent get into thin plastic bag hung on branch. It stood on branch and was able to reach the bag.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » August 23rd, 2016, 9:07 pm

I'm with Jerry: rodents are your biggest concern here, but if you just hang it a few feet of the ground and away from any branches, there should be no problems. I've also on occasion slept with food and never had a problem, but I've heard of mice chewing through people's tents to get at their stuff, which sounds... unpleasant.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 24th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I just keep my food in the tent. Only problem I've had there was with crows.

Funny story. I was coming back to camp after climbing Middle Sister and saw a crow flying overhead in the opposite direction. It had a baggie in its beak which had the sandwich I had left buried in the snow to keep cool. They're very clever. I've also had crows unzip a food bag on a Mt Adams climb.

Rodents can get in your bag if you hang it. I've not had mice damage my tent in hundreds of nights out. I keep my food close where I can protect it.
PCT class of 2012

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » August 25th, 2016, 11:29 am

scrambler2 wrote:I just keep my food in the tent. Only problem I've had there was with crows.

Funny story. I was coming back to camp after climbing Middle Sister and saw a crow flying overhead in the opposite direction. It had a baggie in its beak which had the sandwich I had left buried in the snow to keep cool. They're very clever. I've also had crows unzip a food bag on a Mt Adams climb.

Rodents can get in your bag if you hang it. I've not had mice damage my tent in hundreds of nights out. I keep my food close where I can protect it.
In there lies the problem with improper food storage. The fauna of an area becomes accustomed to being fed. This creates all sorts of issues for the well being of wildlife. Like are you going to bring a sandwich out to the 3 sisters in the winter? It is ALWAYS better to properly store food or at least try.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 29th, 2016, 10:19 am

Steve20050 wrote:
scrambler2 wrote:I just keep my food in the tent. Only problem I've had there was with crows.

In there lies the problem with improper food storage. The fauna of an area becomes accustomed to being fed. This creates all sorts of issues for the well being of wildlife. Like are you going to bring a sandwich out to the 3 sisters in the winter? It is ALWAYS better to properly store food or at least try.
Yep, I buried half a sandwich in the snow. Last minute lunch purchase before heading up for a climb. It was in the SPRING and I put the the sandwich in the snow to COOL it.

If it was WINTER, I wouldn't need to put it in the snow. Duh!

Anyways, my point is your food is safer in the tent than outside.
PCT class of 2012