Trekking Pole Phobia?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
RobinB

Re: Trekking Pole Phobia?

Post by RobinB » May 13th, 2016, 10:50 am

Weird situation, but it sounds like you handled it really well. I've had people incredulously ask what my poles are for - "Do you have an injury?" - but never be scared of them.
drm wrote:...from phobias to flatulence...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

markesc

Post by markesc » May 15th, 2016, 7:11 pm

I blame prescription meds for stuff like this. She probably drives a super boring mind numbing vehicle too!!

I'm SHOCKED she didn't have a "service" / rescue dog with her. :lol:

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 16th, 2016, 10:14 pm

markesc wrote:I blame prescription meds for stuff like this. She probably drives a super boring mind numbing vehicle too!!

I'm SHOCKED she didn't have a "service" / rescue dog with her. :lol:
I am almost certain that the person in mind is a friend of mine. None of these things apply to her. She just doesn't like people hiking closely behind her for her own reasons. I don't ask.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » May 20th, 2016, 12:05 pm

klossner wrote:Last month I jogged down the Wahkeena Trail. A woman ahead of me who had been walking started jogging too and didn't stop until she got into her car and drove off. I guess I scared her, but I don't know what I could have done ... shouted "wait, I'm not going to hurt you?" :?
My girlfriend and I had the same thing happen on the Table Mt/PCT. We briefly spoke to a solo gal who had her dog with her. We were hiking behind her when her dog turned around and started barking at us. Then she literally sprinted down the hill with the dog barely keeping up.
PCT class of 2012

mreha

Post by mreha » May 27th, 2016, 10:47 am

With something like 1 in 5 women in the US reporting having been raped (and the actual number maybe higher) I never question why women I encounter on the trail seem nervous or don't want to chat with me. Especially if they're alone...of all the female friends I have that hike, only a very few are even willing to hike alone, ever, in the first place. I think it's difficult for us men to grasp how vulnerable women can be even in everyday situations that men wouldn't give a second thought to.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 28th, 2016, 11:38 am

RobinB wrote:...I've had people incredulously ask what my poles are for - "Do you have an injury?"
LOL yes, the questions about hiking poles can be amusing. A couple of times I've been asked "why are you carrying ski poles?"

As to the question about Greg's encounter with the sensitive hiker, I suspect that she was feeling 'pushed' or 'tailgated' and just wanted to let you pass. The mention of poles was probably just an excuse. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 28th, 2016, 2:29 pm

that's weird, many people use trekking poles

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 29th, 2016, 12:34 am

Speaking with an attractive young lady on a trail today, she mentioned her parents were right behind her. How awkward. I knew there were no parents. I figured I made her uncomfortable. Then I thought of this topic.
Yep, I had poles. :lol:

(to my chagrin, saw her later, and she really was was with her apparent parents)

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » May 31st, 2016, 5:57 am

mreha wrote:With something like 1 in 5 women in the US reporting having been raped (and the actual number maybe higher) I never question why women I encounter on the trail seem nervous or don't want to chat with me. Especially if they're alone...of all the female friends I have that hike, only a very few are even willing to hike alone, ever, in the first place. I think it's difficult for us men to grasp how vulnerable women can be even in everyday situations that men wouldn't give a second thought to.
Thank you for this. I've been wanting to say it but haven't had the nerve. Based on conversations with friends over the years I expect you are right about the "maybe higher" part, too. The truth is that unless we've hiked a mile in someone else's hiking boots or trail runners, we can't possibly understand what they're experiencing. It's pretty simple. Hike your own hike and let others hike theirs.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

forester

Post by forester » June 4th, 2016, 8:23 pm

I work with students who come from terrible homes. I doubt this had anything to do with you or hiking poles. We all come from our own backgrounds and many have a lot to deal with. The best we can do is try and keep the perspective of others in mind and move on our way respectfully, which it seems you did.