garmin maps

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

Re: garmin maps

Post by aiwetir » February 7th, 2017, 6:46 pm

adamschneider wrote:(Of course, even the OSM data isn't guaranteed to be perfect, but at least there's a CHANCE that someone like "aiwetir" has been cleaning it up.)
Just point out an area and I'll check it out. I work mostly based on demand, where I go, where I'm going, or where I want to go. I just need a few good GPS tracks or for them to be mildly popular and I can find GPS tracks.
- Michael

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 5:38 am

where is your data? It must also explain how to use it? Can I use Basecamp (the Garmin software for downloading to my GPS)?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 8th, 2017, 1:09 pm

retired jerry wrote:where is your data? It must also explain how to use it? Can I use Basecamp (the Garmin software for downloading to my GPS)?
Michael's updated data gets incorporated into the full corpus of OSM data. If you go to the OSM Garmin link, you can follow the steps there to get a Garmin map image that can be used in BaseCamp or on your Garmin device. I personally have been creating a "Generic Routable (new style)" file. (Note that it's true vector data, not a series of tiled images.) There should be further instructions in the file you eventually download.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 3:36 pm

thanks, I'll look at that