Wahtum Lake Map

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
MarkInTheDark

Wahtum Lake Map

Post by MarkInTheDark » August 12th, 2016, 1:42 pm

WahtumLake (Large).JPG

miah66

Re: Wahtum Lake Map

Post by miah66 » August 15th, 2016, 11:20 am

Hey, that's pretty handy!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 31st, 2016, 9:16 am

I stuck it in field guide if that's okay

Can I attribute it to MarkInTheDark or is there a better name?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 31st, 2016, 9:56 am

Nice useful map.

Here's an interesting image of GPS traces laid over the USGS topo. The topo is quite wrong in many way and sometimes a hand drawn map that contains useful information is better than any that technology will provided.

- Michael

Chase

Post by Chase » November 2nd, 2016, 5:02 am

I like the ripples in the water.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » November 2nd, 2016, 6:04 pm

Glad you guys like it, I got it from a friend at the USFS/Hood River, I not sure how it was drawn...

Mark
Last edited by MarkInTheDark on November 3rd, 2016, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 2nd, 2016, 6:23 pm

I suppose I should chime in too. The Wahtum Lake area used to bother me too as the USGS maps were so obviously in error so I set about to make my own like you guys did. Here is the one I put together, finishing in 2011 with the NG Topo software and lots of trips with my GPS. I think I posted this previously, but don't remember when if I did. I think it agrees perfectly with aiwetir's map except for the track up to Chinidere. I've included mileages on this as well.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 2nd, 2016, 11:56 pm

Ok, this might be annoying, but I like to compare things so here's this. The blue lines are from Strava users (and maybe some other sources) and are multiple lines, so the cumulative number of tracks makes for an accurate map.

It just looks like the background map that I used (USGS topo on OSM) might just be offset making the whole thing look shifted, so Chinidere is in the right spot, the map isn't. Don's map is pretty accurate also. I laid Don's tracks and the blue Strava tracks over each other, leaving the offset alone, then overlaid a Mapbox Outdoor map over it all which mirrors the blue Strava tracks. I aligned all the trails on the Mapbox map using the Strava tracks (OSM sourced) and the only criticism I have is that maybe I rounded too many corners (and the yellow Mapbox uses isn't visible enough.

I don't know what source Mapbox uses for their topography.

wahtum3.gif
- Michael

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 5th, 2016, 9:02 am

Thanks for your work on the local OSM maps. They are my go-to resource for hiking.

There appears to be a missing connector (on the Mapbox map) which on Don's map has the labels .09 and .06. Is that an intentional omission?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 5th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Webfoot wrote:Thanks for your work on the local OSM maps. They are my go-to resource for hiking.

There appears to be a missing connector (on the Mapbox map) which on Don's map has the labels .09 and .06. Is that an intentional omission?
I just added it, I guess I just didn't see it.
- Michael